INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffering of DSD files after switching from playback of 16/44.1 files  (Read 3011 times)

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen

I cannot reproduce this at will but it happens several times a day.

Scenario - I play an album that is recorded at 16/44.1 in native mode. I then switch to an album recorded in DSD (DSF files, DSD64). Often instead of playing immediately it will buffer every single track on the album. This actually happens on both JRMC19 for the Mac and for Windows.

The solution to fix this is to hit STOP, and then play again, and then it works fine with playback almost immediately. My music files are stored on a NAS and I do have playback from memory enabled.

Again this does not happen all the time, but I would say at least one out of every three times.

Would capturing a log file assist in debugging this?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
Re: Buffering of DSD files after switching from playback of 16/44.1 files
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:41 pm »

I have had this but it was the least of my worries at one point.  

Oops.  You have this posted under Windows.  Sorry I'm Mac.   :-[
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »

It is ok, I have had this problem on both the Mac version and the Windows version under JRMC19. So I didn't want to double post in both forums.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:08 pm »

It is ok, I have had this problem on both the Mac version and the Windows version under JRMC19. So I didn't want to double post in both forums.
OK.  Well, if JRiver thinks log files will help, count me in if needed.  I'm a professional log file collector/sender.   ;D
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Bigredmachine

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:37:43 am »

I am having a smiliar issue that I hope I can piggyback on.  I have a non-DSD dac but have DSD, DSF, or DFF files that will play, but only for a few seconds and then rebuffer and the start to play again.

I assume since the files are "large" and I am asking the software to "dumb it down" that the buffer fills up.  I have tried various settings but cannot seem to resolve and perhaps I am asking the impossible. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:39:30 am »

If MC fails to play while inside a playlist (as opposed to right when starting a playlist), it will silently try the next several files.

A log might show why it's failing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:40:25 am »

I am having a smiliar issue that I hope I can piggyback on.  I have a non-DSD dac but have DSD, DSF, or DFF files that will play, but only for a few seconds and then rebuffer and the start to play again.

You might want a new thread for this.

Things to try:
Toggle memory playback
Increase Audio > Options > Prebuffering
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 11:23:45 am »

If MC fails to play while inside a playlist (as opposed to right when starting a playlist), it will silently try the next several files.

A log might show why it's failing.

Apologies for being less than clear, this is not with a playlist, rather as follows:

Choose a 16/44.1k music track to play.

Choose a DSF (DSD64) music track to play.

At least a third the time, the selection of the DSF file will cause MC to buffer every track on that album. I have never waited long enough to see if after it buffers every track whether it would play.

The workaround is to click STOP when it begins this buffering, and then click Play again, and then the DSF track plays fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up