INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oppo and high quality music  (Read 17371 times)

jmschnur

• World Citizen
Oppo and high quality music
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:31:18 pm »

Any tips for streaming high quality flac and DSF files to my OPPO 103 on my home network. All devices are wired together. Host is a win7 64 bit quad core with a SSD drive. Music is on a separate hard WD hard drive. I have about 1400 ablums previously ripped with EAC.

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Oppo and high quality music
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:46:46 am »

Hi  jmschnur,

I have the same configuration, Win7/64, wired network and files on a separate NAS.
As I have posted on AVS Oppo (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/7110), you cannot stream DSF files, to the OPPO 103, at least natively.
You have to "pull them" from their location.
As for FLAC, you just have to use the 'send to' feature of MC to stream the fles to the OPPO.
To me, the combination of MC18 and OPPO is a winner!
I enjoy my FLAC files as I never did before: Sounstage, details are the best to my ears!
I hope I am clear enough.

Cheers
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »

I find I can send flac files directly via Ethernet  to my Integra dhc 80.2 as well as the oppo. I use the oppo to go to the integra via HDMI .

Which route should  give the best sound?

Joel

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:13 am »

Hi Joel,

Since you Integra accepts analog audio mutichannel, you might try to connect it also via the analog connections and try to find the best sound to your ears:
Oppo > HDMI > Integra will use the integra DAC
Oppo > Analog > Integra will use the Oppo DAC
Oppo > Analog > Amplifier **Beware of the volume that might be set a 100% on the Oppo!**. you will loose the Audyssey thing, but worth a try for audio only.

I personnaly have my 105 hooked to my receiver via HDMI for movie (BD/DVD) and analog for Audio, and I prefer the sound of the Oppo DAC.
For me to achieve, sound wise, the best results, I favor the direct connection to Amplifier, then through the receiver via analog and last through HDMI. My receiver being an Onkyo TX-NR818 and my audio amp for 2ch is an old M-508.

Then, you will be the only judge!
Cheers
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:02:40 am »

Interesting that you did not list Ethernet direct to the integra. I have found that this is a bit harsh. So oppo as the player sounds better.

I have ML Montis as my mains with a Bryston as my amp.

The 103 does not have as a good analogue as you 105 but I still may try your approach.

MC 18 seems quite good for sound. I also have a logitech touch with LMS on my whs 2011 server. MC is on my client PC and I have a duplicate copies of my 1500 CDs on both computers .

So far both the touch and the Oppo sound quite good to my ears as digital sources to the Integra. Since logitech no longer supports the touch, MC may be my preferred route in the future. 

The ipad remotes for the Integra (Oremote), MC 18 (jremote ), and touch (IPeng) are all quite good.

Going analogue from the oppo 103 to my. Directly to my bryston would require some switching .

Do you do this? If so , how?

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:02:55 am »

In fact I did try the Onkyo as a renderer, but when compared to the other solutions, I find it, as you said too harsh, and with a much narrower soundstage, so I dropped this completely.
As for using 2 amps to power my fronts, I use a home made splitter where I have a small box with 2 pairs of female bananas from the amps and I manually plug my speaker to one or the other... Archaic, but cheap and working...
That being said, I very recently did try to bi-amp my speakers (old french made Elipson Axial 160), using the Onkyo 818 (5.1 is good enough for me); Then, I now find this solution being slightly better. I need some more listening to make my mind, but so far I feel the sound more detailed as well as more responsive, so I may put the M-508 on for a well earned retirement!
I have an older laptop that I have connected to my network and to the Oppo through the USB asynch and usually command it from the Gizmo app on my Xoom.
I manage my library through another computer in the office, on which I do all the tagging and such. Both computer have their own libraries, but the one connected to the Oppo is just auto-importing the additions or changes I make on the files with the office one.
This allows me to keep the files only in one location: a NAS in raid 10.
Let me know how it sound, my next step will certainly to drop completely the receiver and use it as an amp for the subs and center while I'll invest on a better amp for the main, Bryston being a candidate with the 3 or 4 BSST2.
Cheers

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:23 am »

My bryston 3 bsst2 (runs three channels; ML Montis, Stage. X sounds very very nice.

I will consider analog out from the oppo, but will wait a bit.  Current set seems to work fine now.

wizardofoz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:26:44 am »

Im using the OPPO105 and MC18 and its great on a wired network...BUT some files I bought from LINN (a few hundred albums in a large disk) are all way too loud and are distorted...my other ripped FLAC's are all fine, just the LINN stuff is bad. The LINN stuff plays fine on my other media players however

Is there a way to redo the volume adjustments for a selection of tracks / albums to see if this can be made to work? I guess I could use the variable volume on the oppo but I rather wouldnt mess with the settings for different tracks.

eliwankenobi

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 09:34:11 pm »

Im using the OPPO105 and MC18 and its great on a wired network...BUT some files I bought from LINN (a few hundred albums in a large disk) are all way too loud and are distorted...my other ripped FLAC's are all fine, just the LINN stuff is bad. The LINN stuff plays fine on my other media players however

Is there a way to redo the volume adjustments for a selection of tracks / albums to see if this can be made to work? I guess I could use the variable volume on the oppo but I rather wouldnt mess with the settings for different tracks.

Hello,

Select those LINN files and right click>library tools> analyze audio

After the files have been analyzed, make sure that in Tools>options>media network> add or configure DLNA servers > audio > advanced > volume leveling is checked.

That should make all your files play at the same volume level.

someone correct me if I am wrong

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 05:50:49 pm »

I find converting my Flac files on the fly  to PCM  and then using 88 kHz 24 bit  and sending to the Oppo 103 (beta) giving me my best sound so far. MC 18 latest version (171).

I have a very fast computer and the network is hard wired.

gmeardi

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:04:53 pm »

I find converting my Flac files on the fly  to PCM  and then using 88 kHz 24 bit  and sending to the Oppo 103 (beta) giving me my best sound so far. MC 18 latest version (171).

I've not well understood why audio streamed to Oppo (acting as a renderer) has to be transcoded...  I've tons of multichannel hd flacs that I'like being streamed without further transcoding.
Currently when MC18 transcodes, it loses my 5.1 channels and downmix to stereo (even if 24/88). Why?

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:57:38 pm »

All of mine are stereo. I would like to read an answer to your question .

I did try straight with no decoding. They play. However the 88,24 seems to make a difference in a lot of what I listen to.

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »

jmschurr...

Have you seen reviews or (did you consider/listen to)  the oppo 105 USB DAC  input and compare this to the DNLA input of the Oppo103/105?   (using JRiver dlna server to send files to the Oppo renderer hopefully I have the terms correct)

You note that the AV reciever DLNA input was a bit harsh with limited soundstage using the Onkyo Dacs.  ...   
Dlna to the 103 and then analog to your preamp/amp was better...   
I believe the USB Dac would be the supperior interface but I haven't seen much comparison EG..   jriver as server with Oppo 105 as renderer VS oppo 105  USB DACs fed by JRiver though a USB outpput.

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I currently am using dlna at 88 24 bit from JRiver via my network (dlna) to the Oppo and then HDMI feed to the 80.2. So this is the best approach .  I will look into the DAC suggestion .

I saw the reviews but did think this application for the Oppo when I bought it.

Joel

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:37 pm »

So... your 80.2 is doing the video and audio decoding.... the oppo is just giving you a better DLNA interface... One that works at 88 kb and 24 bits...

Is that your understanding as well?

jmschnur

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:01 pm »

No video only sound. This is for stereo .

Yes the Oppo provides a better DLNA interface for this purpose.

I split my video directly to my Kuro 151 when I watch blu rays on my oppo. One hdmi to the 80.2 for sound. One directly to my Kuro.

But I use the JR Library media server to send uncompressed PCM sound files to the Oppo and then to the 80.2. JR River up decompresses my Flac files then upsamples to 88.4 kHz. The 80.2 applies Audyssey 32 eq and then sends to my amp.  The 80.2 has no issues with 88.4khz 24 bit.

I hear the Marantz 8801 will do fine alone for direct Ethernet sound. However, I am not yet read to make that leap.

rajmahid

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »

I'm rather new at the business of streaming high res music to my main stereo system (and much of the terminology such as DLNA, NAS, et al), so would love to learn if the solutions I've read about will work for me.

Ordering an Oppo BDP-105 soon. Primary use will be with Marantz receiver-based home theater system -- satellite surround speakers, etc. HDMI connections -- no problem there.

BUT -- I also want to use the 105 with my separate dedicated stereo system (NAD M3 integrated amp feeding PSB Synchrony Ones) to enjoy a vast collection of hi-res music (mostly flacs).  The distance from my PC to the Oppo is 25 feet, so USB is out of the question.  So I'd use an ethernet connection from my router to the 105 -- with JRiver providing the interface to tie it all together with DLNA.  However, when I spoke with Oppo just now, the tech support guy was rather tentative about this -- saying it might be problematical (or tricky) getting JRiver to work with the Oppo via ethernet.  He conceded that if I could get it right, it would do what I wanted it to do.

Should I take the leap, would it be all that difficult configuring JRiver mediacenter on my PC (Windows XP SP3) successfully to stream music to the Oppo using ethernet?

Would very much like some guidance, as this is JRiver's only source for support.

Thanks...in advance!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 12:33:59 pm »

Welcome to the forum.   Next time you talk with the tech guy, tell him we'll provide a free license so they can test.

Try searching for "oppo" here.  You'll find other threads.

rajmahid

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »

Thanks for the welcome, Jim! Looks like a great forum.

That said, I did a search for Oppo, but haven't found anything that addresses a situation such as I described here earlier about getting hi res music to my Oppo and ultimately my stereo amp; several posts looked promising, but nobody responded to them either.

Here's hoping... ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »

csimon is very knowledgeable about DLNA.  Here's an example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77974.0

This wiki topic should also help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

rajmahid

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »

Welcome to the forum.   Next time you talk with the tech guy, tell him we'll provide a free license so they can test.

FYI Jim, I spoke with another Oppo tech guy yesterday regarding the streaming capabilities of the BDP-95 vs. the BDP-105 and he said JRiver media center works "splendidly" (his word) with the 105.  Unfortunately for me, that's not the case with the 95 due to its limitations compared with the newer unit.

Just thought I'd pass it along to you -- I must have gotten the wrong tech the other day.  ;)

wizardofoz

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 05:45:13 am »

Indeed the 105 is great with MC18 ... but sometimes it gets messed up...my wife was playing a CD and I was in another room showing off my stereo setup so I told MC to play thru the 105 and the music stopped... nothing...a power reset on the oppo was required and a few mins later all was good...when its working as it does 99% of the time its great...I use balanced out back to my other room (~12M of cable) into a fully balanced pre then in to LS521 (my diy speakers) google LX521

robcentola

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 09:25:17 am »

After a couple of weeks of "private browsing" in Chrome while pretending to work, I think I found my answer on this thread! You guys are awesome, but I want to make sure I have this right. I'm a super newbie but learning tons on all these boards.

This is my set-up:

Peachtree Nova Pre/220 amp. Oppo BD 103 (connected via coaxial) for 2 channel 80% music. They are all collecting dust while I wait for my speakers to be built- Salk Songtowers. I have an Apple TV via Toslink to the Peachtree DAC that's in the Nova Pre but I'll most like just use the ATV to stream MOG from their desktop app. The thing downsamples everything so I don't want to use that for 24/192 flacs. I've been searching on how I can use this mac to "Push" those hirez files t the Oppo and I think I need JRiver, right? I'll be able to use the interface with the mobile app, or on the computer to navigate and then play these files natively through the player? There's no way to eliminate that path and do directly through to the Peachtree and use that DAC, but I think two two are similar.

I'm using a Macbook, but soon grabbing a PC. No offense to Mac, but I hate this thing. However, will I be able to accomplish what I want to do until then? I've been looking around forever on how to do this and can't experiment because I dont have my speakers yet. That will be a few more weeks before they're completed and I SO excited.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me I'm on the right track or offer any advice, that would appreciated

Thanks!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 05:15:10 am »

I've not well understood why audio streamed to Oppo (acting as a renderer) has to be transcoded...  I've tons of multichannel hd flacs that I'like being streamed without further transcoding.
Currently when MC18 transcodes, it loses my 5.1 channels and downmix to stereo (even if 24/88). Why?

The DLNA specification's lowest common denominator "must support" audio format is called L16 - meaning Linear PCM; 16 bit depth; 1 or 2 channels; and 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz sample rates. So if MC is serving L16, the standard obliges them to down mix and down sample to fit those constraints.

JRiver also offers a format called L24 which is the same as L16 but with 24 bit depth, and allowing higher sample rates. However L24 is not part of the DLNA specification so not many renderers support it. Although according to another poster on this thread, the Oppo does apparently support it.

In any case if you have hires Flacs, then there is absolutely no need for you to set MC to transcode to L16/L24, because the Oppo supports playing Flacs itself directly and quite perfectly.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up