INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Ripping takes a long time  (Read 963 times)

spkeller

CD Ripping takes a long time
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

Hello, I tried a search for this topic and didn't find anything - so here goes...

When I rip a CD using MC19 and Apple Lossless encoding, it takes from 15-20 minutes to rip a CD. Most of my music was initially ripped as wma files years ago, (some as wav and some as mp3) and I'd like to re-rip in a lossless format. Is 15 minutes normal?

Before I spend a bunch of time re-ripping, I will also be checking into which format to use. I would like to be able to rip once for my main listening, my Sonos system, and to load up my iPods.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD Ripping takes a long time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »

I think on average my PC takes about 10 minutes, with FLAC encoding at highest level.  But the speed of the CD read can vary - on some CDs the read rate goes as low as 2x whereas a good CD can be 12x I think.  What does MC report when reading CDs from your drive?

spkeller

Re: CD Ripping takes a long time
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:37:01 pm »

I think I figured it out. I originally set the system to rip directly to my server via wireless. When I changed it to rip to a local directory, it rips in about 6 minutes. Now I need to figure out why the wireless networking adds so much time. Otherwise, I'll rip local and transfer to the server after.
Pages: [1]   Go Up