INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: are any network streaming devices able to connect to my server via dynamic dns?  (Read 2245 times)

larryincmh

• Recent member

I run a Windows 7 Pro workstation 24/7 at my home, which has a connected NAS holding all my music files.  I have enabled all the settings in JRiver which allows my library to be accessed both within my home network, streaming either to my Logitech Squeezebox Duet products (three of them in various locations) or streaming to my phone or iPad using JRemote.

Utilizing a dynamic DNS account I have set up, and port forwarding on my home router, I can also easily access my home music server via the Internet from anywhere in the world and stream music to my local device.  This works for any computer I have that is outside my network as well and streams music to any computer with Media Center installed and configured to use the remote library.

What I would like to do, however, is eliminate the need for the computer or the handheld device at the remote locations.  I would like to purchase a network streamer that allows me to configure a library location using my dynamic DNS location.  Does anyone know of one?  In looking at the manuals for the various devices at Pioneer, Marantz, others they clearly talk about how their devices can find the canned stations that are programmed in such as Pandora, Sirius and others and how they can easily find your UPnP networked music on your local network, but none of these talk about programming in your own unique location for your music, and streaming it.

I have stereo setups in three different cities in the US and really just want to set up the device to stream to them without having to tie up my phone or iPad while in those locations.  If I have the computers at the remote location tied to my audio systems the decoding is not an issue as I have high end USB DACS to use there.  The DAC chips that Apple uses are not audiophile quality, so I am also looking for a device that has a much higher quality of decoder chip built in.  

Any help here, has anyone else tried to do this?  I'd love to get one box that does it all.  I could always keep a mini laptop at each location I suppose and install Media Center and use it that way with my USB DACs for output, but, hoping for a full fledged audiophile solution.

Thanks.

larryincmh

• Recent member

It was suggested off-list by someone that I just get a good high-quality dock that bypasses the iPhone (or iPad) internal DAC and sends the signal out the bottom port.  I could then purchase an older model phone or iPad and dock it permanently in that location and then send the signal to a good processor for playback.  I could then use JRemote as the interface (much less clunky than the software on most streamers) and playback that.  Merits some thought.  Anyone else doing it this way, even within their home networks?

Lots of views on my post but no replies  :'(

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

How about a router with VPN at the remote locations to hook into your home system network?

larryincmh

• Recent member

Bob thank you for the reply and it is something to consider.  After some research I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of the Wadia 171 transports (which are no longer made but readily available).  From what I have read, this was one of the few products Apple authorized to bypass the internal DAC and send only a raw signal to the dock for processing.  I have a couple of iPads I no longer use and could just have them in the dock at all times with JRemote as the interface.  I will continue to ponder all these solutions.  Thank you again for the input. 

ckehoe

Check out the Pure docks. Cheaper than the Wadia, coax and toslink out, as well as buil tin 24/192 converter with rca out. Remote as well.  Reviewed in 6 Moons.

larryincmh

• Recent member

Thank you for pointing me to the Pure website and review.  I had not heard of them and certainly they do get good reviews and you can't argue with the price.  I see they are available through Amazon and other on-line retailers this may be a great option.  Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up