INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS-HD dialogs on Star Trek Next Generation  (Read 2266 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DTS-HD dialogs on Star Trek Next Generation
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:02:09 am »

Does anyone have the original blurays of The Next Generation?

I'm having BIG trouble with certain disks with dialogs sounding really screwed. It's so bad I can't believe that I can hardly find anything about this. The only thing I found was this but I can't find a follow up on it:

[Editor's Note: There are some reports of audio issues with this Blu-ray set - specifically character dialogue being mixed not just in the center but front left and right channels on some episodes. It's not something I noticed initially (as naturally none of the episodes I've watched thus far are among the problematic ones), but we're looking into it and will post an update as soon as possible. FYI, we're told that CBS is already investigating...]

But really, on some episodes, people sound like they were recorded using these types of microhpones:

In short, they sound metallic, shallow and out of proportion. Way too loud too sometimes. But in general, the DTS-MA track just sounds crap.

I switch to the AC3 track and all is fine, its detailed, proportional and nice warm, tonal balance in dialogs. Just not surround but at least it sounds good.

Examples: Haven, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye. The intro's are enough to hear huge differences between AC3 and DTS-HD.

mykillk

• World Citizen
Re: DTS-HD dialogs on Star Trek Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:22 pm »

This is a known defect with the original release of season one of TNG Blu-Ray. They royally screwed up the surround sound audio tracks. They re-released season one with fixed audio tracks. I believe if you contact CBS they will replace it for free.

It is simply unbelievable that no one in their Quality Control caught such a massive, glaring, utmost obvious defect like that one. You literally only had to watch the first 10 minutes of the first episode to realize how borked it was. They must have re-purposed the office intern as the sound mixer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:03:55 pm »

They must have re-purposed the office intern as the sound mixer.

If you knew how common this actually was...

Reissues like this are almost always done by, literally, interns learning how to do their first project ever.  Often, "remastered" editions of old TV shows and whatnot are much WORSE quality than the original DVD editions.  There is just very little money to be made on these, since most people will just stream them on Netflix or rent them.  So, they spend as little as is possible on them, and crap them out (and sell them at incredibly high prices to boot).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:06:15 pm »

This is a known defect with the original release of season one of TNG Blu-Ray. They royally screwed up the surround sound audio tracks. They re-released season one with fixed audio tracks. I believe if you contact CBS they will replace it for free.

It is simply unbelievable that no one in their Quality Control caught such a massive, glaring, utmost obvious defect like that one. You literally only had to watch the first 10 minutes of the first episode to realize how borked it was. They must have re-purposed the office intern as the sound mixer.

Is this only with Season 1?

Maybe I'm not searching with the correct keywords but I didn't find much about it. Online shops make no mention of whether its the "new" version, so how do you know which version you're buying?

Are there ways to reckognize the "new" version on the box?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:28:31 pm »

If you knew how common this actually was...

Reissues like this are almost always done by, literally, interns learning how to do their first project ever.  Often, "remastered" editions of old TV shows and whatnot are much WORSE quality than the original DVD editions.  There is just very little money to be made on these, since most people will just stream them on Netflix or rent them.  So, they spend as little as is possible on them, and crap them out (and sell them at incredibly high prices to boot).

I don't think I ever watched any remasters for TV shows. TOS and now TNG are the first ones I think. I don't watch many old shows actually, I just finished Blake's 7 a few months ago but those were originals, not remastered and year or 2 ago I watched the original Battlestar Galactica.

Anyways, I know nothing about how they remaster at all, I'll take your word for it. I just finished TOS blurays and started on TNG expecting similar quality. I've seen the original TOS and TNG both a few times, on TV first and later on DVD's.

Here's the thing. I totally enjoyed TOS on BD. I can't imagine it could have been done any better, video was just perfect. Sound effects were a little edgy, a little harsh sometimes but dialogs and ambient sounds were just perfect IMO ... but TNG ... OMG ... 20 years younger but its 10 times worse. Video is better than the DVD (but not better than good DVD's in general) and they're not even close to the level TOS delivered. And sound ... don't get me started. It's horrific.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »

It was only season 1. The other seasons (and really season one itself minus the audio glitches) are all actually really well done. Since TNG was originally shot on film, and they re-edited the entire show directly from the original film (whereas when the show originally ran, they transferred the film to tapes before editing), the quality of the blu-ray is fantastic. They didn't just upsample to HD resolutions. If the quality isn't as good as the re-master of TOS (which I haven't seen), that may simply be because of the quality of the camera and film used than the re-mastering process.

Here is info on the replacement program:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223

They did change the box slightly for the re-issue. I'll try to find the info on how to distinguish the re-issue.

EDIT: Found it:

"The fixed retail disc sets are starting to ship to retailers. The fixed versions can be identified by a yellow colored UPC barcode (instead of white), and a small (orange) TNG Starfleet logo has been added to the spine of the cardboard cover that comes around the plastic disc case."

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:24 am »

You're the man! Thanks!

See if you can download a sample from TOS, you'll see what I mean. You're right about the film and camera, I had already forgotten about it but I think I read somewhere TOS was filmed on larger and much better quality film which made it especially suited to remastering to HD, whereas they had to cut costs on TNG and filmed on cheaper and smaller film.

Alright, I'm done ranting about TNG! Now they should hurry up and release the remaining seasons, it's taking too long already!
Pages: [1]   Go Up