INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 19.0.58 locks drive  (Read 922 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
MC 19.0.58 locks drive
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:29:34 am »

MC 19.0.58, Windows 7/64 Professional.

I use a USB drive to back up media files with file-sync software (not MC). For some reason, MC sometimes locks the USB drive so that Windows won't eject it. I have not configured MC to look at or use that drive for any purposes.

How can I prevent this?

Mike

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 19.0.58 locks drive
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 03:02:16 am »

I move a lot of USB drives in and out on a daily basis and never see MC lock them.

Have a look at:
1) Tools\Options\File Locations and make sure none of MC's file locations point to the USB drive letter.
2) Tools\Options\Library & Folders\Configure auto-import and make sure the USB drive letter is not being scanned.

If you have not done so already, confirm MC is indeed the culprit by exiting MC after you see the lock message and try again.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »

Thanks rjm for the comments.

No, the drive is not referenced in those options.

MC is locking the drive according to "Lock Hunter", which is supposed to unlock files on Windows 7/64.

Closing MC and reopening didn't help.  The workaround is to go into Windows Disk Management and take the drive offline; put it back online; then eject immediately.

Still quite puzzling.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 05:35:19 pm »

What I meant was, when you run into a locked drive, exit MC, then try to eject drive, if it still won't eject then it is not locked by MC.

Also, I forgot to mention that i saw your problem all the time on XP but since upgrading to Windows 8 I never see it. XP is known to have flaky USB support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up