INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 19 Error 5 [solved]  (Read 962 times)

CoriolisMusicLover

MC 19 Error 5 [solved]
« on: October 30, 2013, 04:26:34 pm »

I recently upgraded to MC19 on my main music server.  95% or so of my library plays fine, but a small number of albums will give the following error when I try to play them:

Something went wrong with playback.

Details:
The file could not be opened for read access (error 5).  Check permissions, ownership, and that the file is not in use by another program.

I am running Windows 8.1 and MC19.

I have:

Closed and reopened MC19 - no effect.
Rebooted the computer (to insure files are not in use) - no effect.
Uninstalled and reinstalled MC19 - no effect.
Opened the file directly from the file system to see if it would play - no effect.
Played the file on another computer also running 8.1 and MC19 - it plays fine on that computer.
Copied the file from the other computer to this one - no effect (it still shows the same error message).

I am out of ideas and need some help.  I have attached the error and the files I'm trying to play for you.  What do I need to do here?

Thanks!
Edward

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 19 Error 5
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:53 pm »

Welcome.

Error 5 is a Windows error for 'Access is denied.'

So I think the most likely problem is that the file system isn't giving your current user account or elevation level (UAC) permissions.

Right-click the top folder in Explorer > Properties and investigate the permissions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CoriolisMusicLover

Re: MC 19 Error 5
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:06:15 pm »

Yep, that was it.  I had to take ownership of the files, and they play now.  Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up