INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with CD lookup...  (Read 2898 times)

Yaamon

• Recent member
Help with CD lookup...
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »

I'm looking for pointers on how to handle CDs where album information isn't found correctly.

I'm trying to rip the CD "Glorious: The Singles 97-07" by Natalie Imbruglia.  When I load the CD, MC gives options that all have the wrong tracks.  It appears there are multiple versions of this album, including import variations.  How do I proceed at this point?

I tried WMP, and it found the right album info immediately.  I ripped the CD using WMP, but I would rather use secure rip in MC.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with CD lookup...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »

You could type in the correct track names.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

I'm looking for pointers on how to handle CDs where album information isn't found correctly.

I'm trying to rip the CD "Glorious: The Singles 97-07" by Natalie Imbruglia.  When I load the CD, MC gives options that all have the wrong tracks.  It appears there are multiple versions of this album, including import variations.  How do I proceed at this point?

I tried WMP, and it found the right album info immediately.  I ripped the CD using WMP, but I would rather use secure rip in MC.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

There isn't a particularly seamless solution; I rip a lot of albums and about 20% of the albums I rip in JRiver have no data, and another 20% are missing some data or have wrong data.  I usually just wind up ripping in WMP if I'm in a hurry or entering all the info by hand if I'm not.  WMP has about a 95% hit rate for me, but obviously the ripping module is nowhere near as flexible as JRiver's. 

My understanding is that JRiver uses their own proprietary database (YADB), as opposed to the subscription based databases used by other software (CDDB/gracenote for Itunes or the allmusic database for WMP).  So entering the track information is helpful for other JRiver users, even if it is a pain.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:08:50 pm »

Edit: corrected based on new findings.

If you go ahead and rip the tracks w/out metadata, you can use my amg.pl script to pull the data from amg:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84268.0

The CD tracks are available in MC, and the script can populate that track data, so both the physical CD entry and the ripped tracks can be set to have the same data.  The Filename field (used by the script) is special for CD entries, so you'll need to have a Filename field column that is expression based.  The column name is Filename, the type is Expression, and the expression is [Filename, 0].  With this, you can use the script to populate track and album info from amg.

@Matt - would it be possible to provide the Filename field as raw data such that it could be used for CD database entries, such as:

(0x00DF6256):\Track01.cda

This is visible via exporting to MPL a CD database entry:

<Field Name="Filename">(0x00DF6256):\Track01.cda</Field>

With this, an MPL could then update a CD database entry, and if done prior to ripping, could both be submitted to YADB and propagate to the tracks to be ripped.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:21:43 am »

A great program  http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm that almost always gets the data and has all kinds of options including secure rip and includes a function that checks your rip against all other rips of said cd available to it, called Accuraterip. It's not free however; I think it's in the $35 range. I've been using it for many years and am very happy with it.

-Chris

Al ex

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 06:19:46 am »

I am not happy with the results of the JMC internal YADB feature, so I use MUSIC BRAINZ PICARD as my tagging tool to do the job after ripping, or on new imported tracks. I added the Last.FM+ plugin to MUSIC BRAINZ to get even more detailed tagging info in regard to Moods / Grouping / Genre.

I am quite satisfied with that solution, however, I would be much happier, if JMC would have an integrated solution with similar results like MUSIC BRAINZ...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:03 am »

Mine is yet another approach...

... I use iTunes as my ripping and tagging application. And I use MC only as my library browsing and music playing application. In iTunes I rip to Apple Lossless (ALAC) embedded in .m4a files, and obviously MC can perfectly play those ALACs and transcode them on the fly to any other format without problem.

One advantage of using the .m4a format (a.k.a. MP4) is that it uses a standardized file structure with "boxes" for all kinds of meta data. So you can include all kinds of meta data as tags actually embedded in the files themselves. This means that the music files are "portable"; iTunes writes the tags to the files; and MC reads those same tags.

{ Note concerning iTunes and meta data: There is one "trick" you need to know. When you rip a CD, it fetches the Album Art, and by default it stores the image in its local library database (not in the m4a file). It does this because if you have a CD with 20 tracks, then iTunes only needs to store one image. The "trick" is to use the clipboard to copy the art image from one track, and paste it back again into all the tracks. This removes the art image from iTunes library database, and writes the image into the cover art box in each m4a track itself. So the album art also becomes "portable" with each track. }

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:07:13 pm »

... I use iTunes as my ripping and tagging application

I don't believe iTunes has any sort of secure ripping, so I would not recommend this solution.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:19:19 pm »

@Matt - would it be possible to provide the Filename field as raw data such that it could be used for CD database entries, such as:

(0x00DF6256):\Track01.cda

This is visible via exporting to MPL a CD database entry:

<Field Name="Filename">(0x00DF6256):\Track01.cda</Field>

With this, an MPL could then update a CD database entry, and if done prior to ripping, could both be submitted to YADB and propagate to the tracks to be ripped.

Exposed where?

With expressions, I would expect [Filename, 0] to do it (which means 'don't format for display').

MrC

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »

Exposed where?

With expressions, I would expect [Filename, 0] to do it (which means 'don't format for display').

I must have screwed up something when I quickly tested yesterday.  [Filename, 0] works fine.

Thanks.

I've edited and corrected my reply above.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:30 pm »

I don't believe iTunes has any sort of secure ripping, so I would not recommend this solution.

What do you mean by "secure ripping"??

I ripped and tagged my entire collection of around 1000 CD's (about 10'000 tracks) using iTunes; and so I would not recommend any other solution ;)  1)

1) but just to make it clear, I would not recommend iTunes for browsing or playing the tracks; in this respect MC wins hands down :)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

MrC

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »

I ripped and tagged my entire collection of around 1000 CD's (about 10'000 tracks) using iTunes

Oh, no.

Even on my pristine CDs, I usually get a bad track rip every 6-7 discs that I then rerip and confirm using AccurateRip. That's something iTunes would gloss over.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »

Oh, no.

Excuse me for being blunt, but your response seems rather bigoted to me. I am the one who has experience in importing 10000 tracks,  and you are not.  What makes you think you have any right to be judgemental?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 05:18:32 pm »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:24 pm »

Andrew, I think you may have taken offense where none was intended.  If you like ripping with iTunes, that's great.

However, users should be aware that the error correction it offers is not the same thing, and not as effective, as secure ripping offered by MC, EAC, etc.  

Whether you or anyone else cares about secure ripping is their decision.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »

ITunes can (if you want) use error correction when importing CDs.

You normally seem a rational guy.  Your response to BryanC is uncalled for.

I tried a number of rippers and players before settling on JRiver MC.  I tried very hard to make iTunes work for me.  iTunes did have an option to enable error correction.  However, I found that some CDs ripped with iTunes had audible errors in spite of the absence of any warning from iTunes while it was ripping those CDs.  Other people have reported similar behavior from iTunes.

Until you play those problematic music files made with iTunes, you won't know there is a problem.  A good secure ripper like EAC, dBpoweramp or JRiver MC will tell you immediately if there is a problem ripping a track.

Now Apple may have improved iTunes error reporting since I last used it.  I've never seen any explanation from Apple of just what their ripping process does when it encounters errors.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up