INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes when enterting Configure Autoimport Folders  (Read 3793 times)

Arcturus

• World Citizen
Crashes when enterting Configure Autoimport Folders
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:01:51 am »

So today upgraded to version 190060 (it was running fine prior to this). At that point folders on a network shared drive no long showed and my Library seemed curropt for example if I go to /Video/Files/ Instead of showing the network shared drive it shows Undefined. If I go into the Undefined it repeats like this

Example.

F:
G:
H:
UNDEFINED
      F:
      G:
      H:
      UNDEFINED
            F:
            G:
            H:
            UNDEFINED

So on, I figured I would remove that drive and attach it to my pc instead but upon entering Configure Auto Import Folders it would crash.

So I downgraded to the 190054 my files and directory structure are back to normal now however it still crashes when I enter Configure Auto Import. Also it crashes if I go to tools/import/.

I have tried restoring older backups from / Files / Libraries / Restore. I also cleared my library and tried to make a new one and yet it still wont let me enter Configure Auto Import Folders crashes the second I try. Also tried a complete uninstall and re-install to no avail.

I am at a total loss of what to do having reinstalled,Tried different versions, Tried different library backups and nothing works. Even more odd is if I open up JRiver MC 18 which I still have installed to a different location it exhibits the exact same behavior so I am totally SOL.

Unless someone has a fix for this my only option is to move to another application to fill this need because as it is now I cant even configure it. Sucks cause it was working fine up until today.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Crashes when enterting Configure Autoimport Folders
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:06:44 am »

guess there is a bug see this post => http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84810.0

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:11 am »

This should be fixed in the build at the top of this forum.

Sorry for the mistake.  I made it faster but broke it.  With the new build, it's faster and not broken.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »

@Matt
You only partly fixed it I guess.

I installed the .67 entered configure and it worked the first time. So I closed it and entered it again and BAM it crashed JRiver AGAIN.

How bout you put it back to the way it was cause whatever you did is wreaking havoc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »

I installed the .67 entered configure and it worked the first time. So I closed it and entered it again and BAM it crashed JRiver AGAIN.

I can't reproduce this.  Can you?

Could you provide a step-by-step, including details about exactly what you're opening?

Thanks.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:51:03 pm »

Sure I open up JRiver, I go to Options,Files Folders, Configure Auto-Import Folders
CRASH. It's been this way since installation of the previous version and nothing I try short of reformatting my pc (which is not going to happen) fixes it.

Maybe you can't reproduce it because it didn't mess-up your install. IE you didn't run into the botched library yourself.

What seemed to kick it off was having a network drive shared but not mapped. However now the drive is mapped and the old paths are removed and replaced with the new ones.

Last night I managed to get into the configure auto import folders once by having MC run as admin. But that only worked once, Having shut down JRiver and restarting to see if it was indeed that once again I am met with a JRiver has stopped working error message in Windows the second I try to get in there.

Don't know what more details to give you then that but my JRiver install is hosed and even reverting to older versions of MC and or older Libraries (or starting a fresh library) is not working.

EDIT. I turned on logging in JRiver I then went to Configure Auto Import folders and it crashed. So I have a log to send you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »

EDIT. I turned on logging in JRiver I then went to Configure Auto Import folders and it crashed. So I have a log to send you.

Great.  Logs at jriver [dot] com.

It might be early next week before we have a chance to dig into it (it takes a while).

You could also try backing up your library, then restoring one of the backups that MC makes automatically.  This would test your corrupted library idea.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:59 pm »

As I said I already tried that and everything else to do with the libraries including trying to start fresh. As it is now also my library is fine everything displays correctly I can drag drop files onto JRiver its only when I try to enter that and or the Tools/Import I get that crash.

The log is sent.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 05:10:37 pm »

It's crashing in srvcli.dll.  I've never seen this before.

The log had been reset, so I could not see the origin of the crashing thread.

My guess is the thread was the one looking for media paths in a background thread while that dialog is open.  Since a system DLL is crashing, I'm wondering if some third party (AV, security) program could be causing trouble?

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 05:12:14 pm »

I only run MSE. I keep a pretty clean ship so to speak.
I also work on this PC often doing web design so I treat it like my life depended on it :)

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 06:31:44 pm »

Just got done running System File Checker,Check Disk and a few other diagnostics.
Everything checks out so dunno what's up with that.

I can send another log if you want?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »

Just got done running System File Checker,Check Disk and a few other diagnostics.
Everything checks out so dunno what's up with that.

It's something to do with network drives or devices.  To test my theory, you could disable your network controller.

Also, does it crash if you sit at the first screen where it asks you if you want to import, configure auto-import, etc. (instead of clicking 'Next' once)?

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 12:57:53 am »

If I go to / tools / options / libraries and folders and am on the auto import tab I could leave it there and it will not crash, its the second I hit configure auto-import folders.

It will also crash if I go /tools/Import.

It works if my network card interface is disabled.
It's a Intel(R) 82579v Gigabit adapter.

The interface works fine though, I game with it, Stream media (with JRiver only) and everything else and has not shown any signs of being defective.

It's quite probable other people have the issue but won't know until they go to configure auto-import folders. And Funny thing is I never would have had to go there until the prior build that hosed my library.

Maybe you need to make it a little less sensitive :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 07:19:13 am »

Maybe you need to make it a little less sensitive :)
Reliable software requires reliable hardware.  You can't program around bad hardware or drivers.
It works if my network card interface is disabled.
It's a Intel(R) 82579v Gigabit adapter.
You've proven that the network interface is the problem.  Try updating the driver, direct from Intel.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 07:38:11 am »

Please capture and mail another crash log.  Do not reset logging before capturing it.

Thank you.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 03:46:42 pm »

@JimH
Yes the driver is up to date. I even flashed the newest rom image onto it and updated all drivers on my pc to resolve this.

Disabling the network interface does not necessarily prove the interface is bad it could also prove the software has an issue dealing with it. In the same way a game might crash a specific type of video card. It's too easy to pass the blame around. If the interface was lagging or showing some other type of symptom or crashing other software I wouldn't even argue but its not the case at all or else why doesn't Dream Weaver crash when I update a site or why doesn't my game lag when I am playing online or my downloads being slow if you see what I mean.

Its also odd that apart from that one crash JRiver has no issues streaming and sharing media over that very same interface. Seems a little odd don't you think ?

I know that the LAN interface on some mobo's are pretty cheap and do die out but this motherboard is only a little over a year now.

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#download

It's not a cheap piece of crap :)

A new log has been sent.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »

Yes the driver is up to date. I even flashed the newest rom image onto it and updated all drivers on my pc to resolve this.
Did you check at Intel?

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »

Yes its where I also got the utility to flash the newest image onto it.

On the bright side my pc feels like I just reformatted it after everything I have done the past 2 days.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:57 am »

Please capture another log with this build:
http://files.jriver.com/temp/MediaCenter190069.exe

It should show us what path is causing the crash.

Thanks.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 03:42:29 pm »

One thing about the logging. When I open that window and it tells me to repeat the steps that caused the crash I cant really do anything other then click done and then go do the thing that makes it crash. I guess that is what is intended or by that did it mean do them now while the logging window is open, Because while its open I cant click on anything until I close the logging window.

Then when I come back there is the Report a problem which then generates the log file.

So just to be clear I open the logging window hit Done, Then cause the crash, Then restart JRiver open the logging window again and hit report a problem to make the log to send you?

I only mention this cause you said the log was reset and I am not hitting the reset button so dunno what happened there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »

So just to be clear I open the logging window hit Done, Then cause the crash, Then restart JRiver open the logging window again and hit report a problem to make the log to send you?

Exactly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »

Thanks for the updated log.

It crashes when trying to look at your Z:\ drive.

My guess is that the Windows networking layer is blowing up when we try to unmap the drive letter (ie. convert it to a UNC path).  What is the UNC path for Z:\?  Are you able to use the drive properly in Explorer?

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 04:19:42 pm »

The Z: drive is a mapped network drive on my router. Yes I can access it fine and so can JRiver. Has all the stuff for my GF on it. It's used every single day without issue. It even scans and imports new stuff I add to it just fine. Again its only when I try to enter the configure autoimport folders does JRiver do a total crash.

I once attempted to start with a fresh library, But the moment I went back to configure auto import folders it crashed before I could even enter one path.

If you want I can have JRiver start playing a file off that path/drive letter with the logging open and you can see it works fine.

And one additional note. When the .66 came out I thought maybe its because it was not mapped as a network drive that was causing the issue so I mapped it before it was an ip like 192.168.144.1/My_Passport/Movies/

The problem I had then was not configuring autoimport crashing it was the infinity loop with the undefined busted library.

Maybe I could try to unmap the drive and see what happens now ?

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:19 am »

So guess what. I unmapped the network drive and re-added the path like it was before. Example "\\MYNETN900\WD_My_Passport_0748_42\TV\
And its fine like that so the problem isn't with the drive or the network card the problem is JRiver dealing with certain mapped network drives. Adding the full network path though and its ok. 

Anyway its fine now.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »

I've experienced differences using mapped drive letters vs. UNC paths in other programs as well.  I've never bothered to spend much time analyzing the issues.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:30 pm »

So guess what. I unmapped the network drive and re-added the path like it was before. Example "\\MYNETN900\WD_My_Passport_0748_42\TV\
And its fine like that so the problem isn't with the drive or the network card the problem is JRiver dealing with certain mapped network drives. Adding the full network path though and its ok. 

Anyway its fine now.

The program is crashing when unmapping the Z:\ drive.

We unmap drives to canonicalize them.  This is because a resource like D:\Media could get shared as \\Computer\\Media and mapped as Z:\.  Ideally the program should understand this to avoid duplicating files.

The call to unmap is done with WNetGetConnection and NetShareEnum.

I can't see anything wrong with how we're calling them.  This is the first report of a problem here.  I've tried using the same names (WD_My_Passport_0748_42\TV\) on a share here, and couldn't reproduce a problem.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:03 pm »

You must have misinterpreted my reply.
Mapped as /z:/ there is a problem and the crash occurs when entering configure auto import folders.

Unmapped (or disconnected) and either using that path or even the IP and JRiver is fine. Having the drive unmapped changes nothing in my life so I am ok with that and now JRiver is back to normal.

You say this is the first (but there is always a first) And then there is a second and a third and so on.

Might be some update MS pushed or who knows. Anyway its resolved.

Thanks though for the help in isolating the problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 06:03:54 pm »

You must have misinterpreted my reply.
Mapped as /z:/ there is a problem and the crash occurs when entering configure auto import folders.

Right.

We unmap Z:\ to \\MYNETN900\WD_My_Passport_0748_42\TV\.  Then we check if \\MYNETN900 is possibly a local drive.

I don't know why this flow is crashing for you.  I'm just providing some extra information.  Maybe it will allow someone else to offer a hint.

In any event, it's good you've found a workaround by using UNC paths instead of mapping to a drive.  Thanks for all your help.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 05:14:46 pm »

It even worked fine with an IP instead of network name. So ya its  a weird glitch but at least it is resolved.

If someone ever has an issue of trying to get into Configure Auto Import folders and they have mapped network drives the solution will be here.

Arindelle

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 06:35:01 am »

Right.

We unmap Z:\ to \\MYNETN900\WD_My_Passport_0748_42\TV\.  Then we check if \\MYNETN900 is possibly a local drive

Do you recommend un-mapping drives in general for basic configurations. I thought that mapping drives was recommended. Sorry to go slightly off topic, but just would like to be sure -  I've read some differences of opinion.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:32 am »

Do you recommend un-mapping drives in general for basic configurations.

No.  I always use mapped drives at home.

This is the first report of this issue.  Like I said above, I can't explain why unmapping the drive is crashing on Arcturus's system.

Arindelle

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 12:34:47 pm »

No.  I always use mapped drives at home.

This is the first report of this issue.  Like I said above, I can't explain why unmapping the drive is crashing on Arcturus's system.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up