INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to subdivide artist's albums into "EPs" "bootlegs" "albums" etc.  (Read 1683 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe

I'd like to be able to browse my collection in the artist view and instead of seeing all the albums I have by an artist, I'd like everything to be sorted into sub folders that are browsable, with categories like

- single
- EP
- anthology
- bootleg
- album

I realize I would have to designate my albums in each case as fitting into one of these categories. But assuming I did that, would it the views I describe be possible? How?

Goatshade

Re: Want to subdivide artist's albums into "EPs" "bootlegs" "albums" etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:09:30 am »

You could create a new library field for this (I actually did this myself--I called it, "Release Type"). Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields... > Add New Field. Then, make a new view to the left on the tree > Right-click it > Customise View > View As: Categories > Add... > Add whatever fields you want to have as levels.

This, of course, requires that you go through each album you have and fill in the Release Type with whatever it is ("Full-length Album", "EP", "Bootleg", &c.).

Denti

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 06:18:08 am »

Thank you! Brilliant. What's even greater is that I don't need to enter data in this new field unless there are enough and enough variety of albums for any given artist. Perfect. Now if I could only get my "Various Artist" compilation tracks to appear *also* under the artist...

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:32:06 am »

Some of us use the already existing field "Description" for this, because the data is searchable by MC19, and it the data is saved back into tags when you do write tags, so the data is then usable by other programs.

Then you can use it for any different copies of the album, such as "30th Anniversary Remaster", etc.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:05:01 am »

Some of us use the already existing field "Description" for this, because the data is searchable by MC19, and it the data is saved back into tags when you do write tags, so the data is then usable by other programs.

Then you can use it for any different copies of the album, such as "30th Anniversary Remaster", etc.

Custom fields can be made to be embedded as a tag written to the file and can also be made to be automatically searchable by MC.

Go to Tools >> Options... >> Library & Folders >> Manage Library Fields...
Select the field
Set the checkbox options for "Save in file tags (when possible)" and "Default search field"
Pages: [1]   Go Up