INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote to MC - what Bluetooth device?  (Read 3474 times)

rick57

• Recent member
JRemote to MC - what Bluetooth device?
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:38:42 pm »

Hi

I've googled but haven't found it:

For JRemote to work well between an iPad (an iPad 3) and MC - what specific Bluetooth device should I get for the PC?

I’ve never used Bluetooth. I’m catching up to the 21st century  ;)

I emailed JRemote but havent heard back

At first I thought this Belkin would work http://reviews.cnet.com/home-entertainment/belkin-bluetooth-music-receiver/4505-6449_7-34505053.html but it's for streaming audio to an amp, not commands and responses to and from a PC

I need three, for three PCs, two Win 7 and one Win 8

Would these work  http://www.cplonline.com.au/skymaster-bluetooth-mini-usb-adapter-100m.html

(Later, if JRemote supports it I might switch to Android)

TIA

Richard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote to MC - what Bluetooth device?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »

Um, wha??

JRemote doesn't use bluetooth (well, at least not normally).  It operates over the network.  You just connect your mobile device and your computer to the same "LAN" (which can be WiFi-only or both Wired and WiFi, if it is set up properly), and connect through the phone's "internet" connection.  If you want to connect from outside your network (like from your phone's cellular data service), you'll need to open the proper port on your Firewall and allow incoming traffic to route to the box that is running MC.

You could, I suppose, probably rig something up where the Bluetooth was used as a TCP/IP networking device (maybe, if you can do that with an iDevice), but that's crazy-pants.

Oh, and... JRiver supports a free, native Android client.  It is actually a bit "superior" to JRemote technically (currently), because it handles video streaming to the device (though I like JRemote's UI better).  It is called Gizmo.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick57

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:34:50 am »

"Just connect your device and computer to the LAN  . . and connect through the phone's internet connection"

In case it maes a difference as I mentioned, I have an iPad. The iPad is already connected to the net via the LAN. And the PCs are connected via ethernet

Can you expend re "connect through the . . internet connection"

How does the internet connection link two LAN devices? It must be via the LAN, but how will MC recognise JRemote commands - what are the setup steps?

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:39:44 am »

How does the internet connection link two LAN devices? It must be via the LAN, but how will MC recognise JRemote commands - what are the setup steps?

Enabled Media Network in J River.  Note the key that J River gives you when you enable media network.
Start JRemote while connected to your wireless network, type in the key that J River gave you.

rick57

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:12 am »

Thanks Dr T

Sounds simple!

Cheers

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:40:04 pm »

Per a response above that JRemote does not support streaming video.....
I am streaming video to both iphone and ipad via lan and remotely via no-ip connection.
works very well depending on strength of networks at each end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up