INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Levels  (Read 1786 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cover Art Levels
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:57:47 am »

I'm guessing the answer to this is no, but figured I'd bring it up.  Is there a method to add custom cover art levels?  For example, there's Series, Artist, and Album.  Under some of the Artist in my collection, I have thousands of live recordings, and some with multiple recordings per date (different microphone sources per concert).  At each concert level, I'd like to have one cover art file that doesn't get added to the FLAC file.  Here's an example:

Dave Matthews Band > 2013 > 2013-09-04 > I then have 3 sources (dpa4028.flac16, dpa4028.flac24, and mk4.flac16).  Each of those recordings has 23 tracks.  So 69 files.  There's one concert poster based on the date of 2013-09-04 and it's 85 KB.  So 69 times that is a waste of space.  This is a pretty simple example, in reality I have several concert dates with 10+ sources, so it increases exponentially.  There are about 53k files under this one artist, and probably only 900 - 1000 concerts.  So you can see where the increase starts to occur for embedded or unique coverart files.

Thanks!

--Ryan

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Cover Art Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »

You can read the wiki for more information on cover art. You can choose to not save the image in the tag. Then you only have one image for all 69 files.

Have you thought about using series and season tags for your concerts and adding cover art to those folders? You can then create a view for concerts that uses this cover art. For your example (Dave Matthews Band > 2013 > 2013-09-04) you could enter a series of 2103-09-04 and a season of 1, 2, or 3 for each source. You could then put one poster for 2013-09-04 in the season cover art folder and one poster for 2013 in the series cover art folder.

When you click on Dave Matthews it could show the concerts grouped by year. Click on a concert date and it would drill down to sources for that concert.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:59:39 am »

You can read the wiki for more information on cover art. You can choose to not save the image in the tag. Then you only have one image for all 69 files.

Have you thought about using series and season tags for your concerts and adding cover art to those folders? You can then create a view for concerts that uses this cover art. For your example (Dave Matthews Band > 2013 > 2013-09-04) you could enter a series of 2103-09-04 and a season of 1, 2, or 3 for each source. You could then put one poster for 2013-09-04 in the season cover art folder and one poster for 2013 in the series cover art folder.

When you click on Dave Matthews it could show the concerts grouped by year. Click on a concert date and it would drill down to sources for that concert.

I hadn't thought of using the series/ season system before, but that may be a viable workaround.  I thought the 'do not store in file' checkmark then applied to all of your cover art, which isn't really what I want to do.  These are the exceptions to my normal rule for tagging.  I current have groupings by date, then source of the recording using some regex expressions with the help of MrC.  I guess I can try to build that into my auto-import steps to add to the series/ season tag fields. 

Thanks for the idea!

--Ryan

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

I forgot to mention that the episode tag can be used for another level.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »

I forgot to mention that the episode tag can be used for another level.

So I tried to do this.  I added a file called DMB 2013 Summer.jpg to my Cover Art\ Series folder.  I then tagged one concert with the Series of DMB 2013 Summer, but no cover art is showing for it.  I restarted MC19, still not showing.  I then thought, perhaps it needs a Season.  But that tagged is locked down to only be for Video; TV so I can't apply it to FLAC files.  I added an episode, but still no cover art showed from the Cover Art folder.

Shouldn't it at least pick up the Series cover art?

Is there no way to unlock that Season field?

Thanks,

--Ryan

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:24 pm »

Never mind - I didn't have series setup as a category... D'uh.  Still playing with the layout.
Pages: [1]   Go Up