INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCM2DSD playback issues  (Read 1147 times)

gilesyboy

PCM2DSD playback issues
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:06:56 am »

I am trying to use the on the fly PCM2DSD encoder and am running my PC into a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 USB Converter plugged into the Benchmark DAC1. When I choose the MF ASIO Driver and select PCM2DSD in the Output Encoder I get the error message:

Playback could not be started on the output "ASIO" using the format "44.1 kHz 64bit 2ch"
The ASIO device "MF USB 192 ASIO Driver does not support the sample rate of 705600 Hz.

I am not sure that the original bit depth would have been 64bit so am wondering why the output bit depth is such, are there any additional setting that I can alter in order to try this playback feature and see whether I can detect any audible difference. It seems that when I select PCM2DSD all other options are greyed out and I can no longer configure anything.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

gilesyboy

Re: PCM2DSD playback issues
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:26:07 am »

Just had my response from Musical Fidelity to say that V-Link 192 was designed for PCM playback only and will not support DSD.

Will have to try direct into my DAC1 and see whether that is a preferable sound, if so it might be time to offload the V-Link.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: PCM2DSD playback issues
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »

The DAC1 does not support DSD either - only the DAC2 does.
Media Center does a good job converting DSD to PCM though, and I don't think you're missing out by doing so.

I own a DAC2 and prefer to have Media Center convert to PCM than use native DSD.

There's been a lot of hype around DSD lately, and I think it's just a push from manufacturers to try and sell you new hardware, now that there are widely available DAC chips that can decode it.

Honestly, with a good DAC, CD-quality audio (16-bit 44.1kHz) sounds fantastic - the quality of the master matters far more than whether it's playing DSD or high res PCM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up