INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A request for one-legged Steve  (Read 1271 times)

Severian

A request for one-legged Steve
« on: March 07, 2002, 05:20:02 am »

I went and returned that POS Nomad IIc and got my evil self a Bantam BA350. Looking at the wish list and a previous post that I made, I think I'm one of perhaps two MJ users who uses one of these devices. Other posts seem to imply that you've got a whole queue of devices you're working on support for...is this one of them? Gosh that would sure be nice. It doesn't show as a removable drive, if you're curious.

Somewhat related, are there any plans to possibly publish an SDK for handhelds to connect to MJ?

Y'all might consider looking Bantam up if you haven't already in your quest for world domination. They only sell online. I hope that strategy works out for them, because this player is way better than anything I've seen in a store...maybe they're looking for a software partner to include with their player in the future.

Hopping Steve

RE:A request for one-legged Steve
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2002, 06:43:36 am »

Severian,

We have not contacted Bantam, but will give it a try.  As requests come in for support for players, we generally contact companies and try to get things going. If they reply, we move forward and if they don't we recontact them as users request support. I will let you know if we hear anything.

In regards to an SDK, we should be able to post a rough draft of something in a day or two.

Steve

Severian

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2002, 07:08:09 am »

You rock. Thanks.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2002, 07:17:25 am »

Just out of curiosity, besides the extra memory, what can the Banta do that the Nomad II can't? I read the specs on their site and I'm not sure I understand what the fuss is about. Apparently the only thing going for it is 128 memory (the Nomad can do that - although it would be external whereas the Banta's is internal. Nice, but not a huge deal), it's really loud (might be a good thing if you're a teenager - I just can't stand super loud music anymore Next Page) and it's color faceplates (I'm going to be listening to it, not looking at it)? Is that it?

The Nomad II also has an FM radio, voice recorder, and it came with a "remote", which to me, seem like way more useful features than a faceplate...

Severian

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2002, 08:03:13 am »

This is all so. The problem that I had with the Nomad (I had a IIc, doesn't have the FM tuner, but for me that was a plus as I never use the radio while working out, I've always been a cassette-only Walkman kinda guy, and although I do talk to myself I've never felt the need to save it for posterity on a voice recorder) was the support it was getting from Creative; to say that it sucked would be kind. Their drivers were a nightmare and I had to do an OS reinstall just to get things working the way they used to before the Nomad came into the picture.

If you go to nomadworld.com you'll see them cheerily advertising products that don't, in fact, exist anymore, such as the Nomad MG or the docking station for the Nomad II. Whether or not they're even selling the Nomad II anymore is unclear. It seems to have mysteriously vanished from all retail shelves in my area, so based on that lack of support it seemed prudent to go with somebody else while I still could.

On paper, you are correct sir, they do seem fairly equivalent. But subjectively I'd say the Bantam smokes the Nomad. It seems more ruggedized, and the button and menu interface is great. It's got a lithium-ion battery that recharges while it's connected, so the form factor is smaller than the Nomad (it's smaller than a business card), plus no battery expenses, plus longer life on a charge vs. a new AA battery. The amplifier is also key, which was definitely a failing of the Nomad and a common failing of a lot of these smaller players; it wouldn't drive phones loud enough to drown out the typical background noise, for me.

It uses MMC cards for expansion, and 128MB MMC cards were announced at CES, so I'll have a full 256 once I pick up one of those. For what you get, it is definitely a solid deal for the dollars. The package that comes with it is just loaded. Yes, you get the silly faceplates, but you also get a solid set of phones, plus a cassette/car adaptor, plus a carrying case that's not some cheap naugahyde thing but actually well done and useful, better than a third party one. And thorough, printed documentation on both the software and the hardware (as well as a full audio tutorial pre-loaded on the player itself). I'm impressed, if you can't tell. The thing just bears the hallmarks of people who thought about the consumer first and made something that they'd want to use. Just based on my experience of this alone, I'm definitely going to check out the BA800 when they put that out.

Now, if I could just upload to it in MJ...that would be paradise. Next Page

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2002, 09:30:52 am »

This is a perfect illustration about how different perspectives can influence one's outlook on a product. Next Page

Their drivers were a nightmare and I had to do an OS reinstall just to get things working the way they used to before the Nomad came into the picture.

I didn't have any of these problems. The Nomad II has worked like a dream for me ever since I bought it.

If you go to nomadworld.com you'll see them cheerily advertising products that don't, in fact, exist anymore, such as the Nomad MG or the docking station for the Nomad II. Whether or not they're even selling the Nomad II anymore is unclear. It seems to have mysteriously vanished from all retail shelves in my area, so based on that lack of support it seemed prudent to go with somebody else while I still could.

Sounds like their turning their focus onto the Nomad Jukebox. I bought mine (Nomad II) when it was first released, along with a docking station, so I never really experienced this problem either. If it breaks, I'll probably buy something else, not because I'm unhappy with the Nomad II, but because I've been eyeing the iPod ever since it's release. Of course that all depends on somebody releasing Windows drivers for the thing... Next Page

The Nomad II recharges when docked. The small form factor and no dependence on a docking station to recharge is nice, but I personally like docking stations as they leave my desk more organized than a bunch of loose cables would.

I replaced the stock headphones with a nice pair of foldable, earbud Sony's. It seemed plenty loud to me, but again, my ears don't like loud music as much as they used to. Next Page

The extra memory is nice, I agree. But I've still got my eye on that iPod... Next Page

Leather case, got that.
Cassette/Car adapter - um... I went to a CD player a long time ago. Next Page

Just a matter of taste/perspective. Honestly, I don't use the FM radio or voice recorder on mine, either (but the remote is great!). But my questions were more pointed to a review I read on the Bantam (after reading your post) that just raved and raved about how this thing was the new standard to which all others should adhere to. I just couldn't understand what all the excitement was about considering the list of features seems to fall short of the Nomad II. I'm still not sure I see what the big deal is. Next Page

Severian

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 09:47:00 am »

My Nomad wouldn't recharge when docked because Creative no longer sells or supports that docking station, so consider yourself fortunate.

The iPod is the cat's pj's. I had one in my hand the other day. Nice interface. Weighs way too much for workouts though (it's about the weight of...gee, a hard drive!).

Wish manufacturers would concentrate less on these portable HD concepts and more into something for active use. Something about the size of a deck of cards with 256 built in would be fine by me. And less than $300 while you're at it, please. Oh, and let its docking station actually be my car stereo's head unit.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2002, 11:06:06 am »

Yeah, I wonder about the saftey of jogging with a portable hard drive in my hand. Next Page Not my safety, the hard drive's. Although the iPod is a laptop harddrive, isn't it? Those aren't that heavy. Not as light as a Nomad II or a Bantam, but it still shouldn't be that heavy...

Oh, and let its docking station actually be my car stereo's head unit.

I love this idea. Have one docking station in your head unit to allow playback, and another on your desk for transfers. And both would recharge. Next Page

That's too bad about the Nomad docking station, though. I'm glad I bought mine when I did. The only problem was that I actually ran the rechargeable battery it came with down so much that I couldn't recharge it. So I picked up a couple of rechargeables from Radio Shack. Same type of battery, and they work well. Been working great ever since. Next Page

Severian

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2002, 11:36:57 am »

>>I love this idea. Have one docking station in your head unit to allow playback, and another on your desk for transfers. And both would recharge.

Wouldn't that be nice? There are steps in that direction, but nothing satisfying. Sony's got a new head unit that takes their memory sticks, and a head unit that's also a ripper and a hard drive. Neither of which I will be buying. Wouldn't it be nice for manufacturers to agree on a format standard so that something like that could happen? This memory stick/SD/MMC/CompactFlash/SmartMedia business makes me nostalgic for the days of Beta vs. VHS.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2002, 11:47:08 am »

Yeah, no kidding. I thought that buying a device that used SmartMedia was a good idea because all of the digital cameras were using it. But now the Sony cameras are using the memory sticks! And the Sony's are rated pretty highly last I heard, so now I wish I'd bought a device that used memory sticks! Next Page

Steve

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2002, 12:36:58 pm »

FYI,

I got a note back from Bantam that the person I need to talk to is out of the country for a week but they "will forward my information to him when he returns".....

we'll see.

Severian

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2002, 12:56:37 pm »

Any bets on it being the CEO, taking a holiday in Europe? Next Page

Your efforts are 110% appreciated. Thanks very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up