INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK so this IS weird  (Read 1144 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
OK so this IS weird
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:45:04 am »

In the past when I have quit MC then restarted it afresh, odd behaviors get 'cleaned up', but the sound seemed to get better as well…   

hmmmm.

So I'm listening to an album (media network) and it sounds dull and lifeless, sorta flat and thin.

So I restart again and the sound IS better.

Just by re-starting.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: OK so this IS weird
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:36:11 am »

In the past when I have quit MC then restarted it afresh, odd behaviors get 'cleaned up', but the sound seemed to get better as well…  

hmmmm.

So I'm listening to an album (media network) and it sounds dull and lifeless, sorta flat and thin.

So I restart again and the sound IS better.

Just by re-starting.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

JJ

I haven't had exactly this, but I once had something similar.  I used to have a soundcard (an M-Audio 192) that would become progressively more unstable over a session and would gradually start introducing (measurable) distortion into the signal, until it eventually became unlistenably distorted.  Restarting the ASIO session or the windows audio kernel would "reset" the card and it would sound fine again, such that I had a batch file rigged up to restart the audio kernel whenever I noticed it starting to flake out.

I don't imagine that stopping and restarting MC should make a difference with well-behaved hardware/OS's, but not all hardware and software is well-behaved   :(

That said, I've never noticed a change from closing and restarting MC with my current HTPC/hardware.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:45:10 am »

Yeah we all are dancing on the bleeding edges here.

Sometimes all I have to do is restart my router to clear up 'odd' behavior.

Other times it’s the router, the Mac, the DAC, and MC and in that order.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:03:48 pm »

Ok, so here is a simple yet possibly revealing experiment to try.

Play a favorite well known track.

Stop after 10-15 seconds.

Shut down MC
Restart it.
Play that very same track and listen for any differences.

This seems to be especially noticeable over the media network after playing for 1-2 hours, but I have heard these differences with less playing time as well.

JJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up