INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume differences in playback from JRiver and iTunes  (Read 694 times)

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
Volume differences in playback from JRiver and iTunes
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:14:11 am »

Afternoon, being an Audiophile and an avid user of iTunes for the last couple years, my music library consists of close
to 30 000 tracks all ripped from CD in WAV format with all Album Art tagged etc as the obsessive among us probably also
did - I have a question on JRiver MC for the experts.

1 - It seems that playback from JRiver MC is louder, clear and has a larger soundstage than playback of the same track
     from iTunes.
     Please advise if this is the case and why that would be ?

Note the setup is an i7 Win 7 Based Notebook with ext 2TB Media HDD connected via USB to a Onkyo DAC then coax to
     a Yamaha RXV2700 driving a set of Jamo 7.7 floorstanding speakers. Both JRiver and iTunes Equalizer is set to off and
     preamp volume = 0.

Thank you for your time
Johan

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume differences in playback from JRiver and iTunes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:54 am »

It seems that playback from JRiver MC is louder, clear and has a larger soundstage than playback of the same track from iTunes.

Many audio files include a tag for "Replay Gain", and many software players have a setting enabling them to apply the value of this tag as an adjustment to the output volume. My guess is that in your case (where MC sounds louder than iTunes) either MC is applying a positive replay gain, or iTunes is applying a negative replay gain.

Personally I always disable replay gain adjustments on all my software players.

PS also look at the sticky thread in this forum about Audio Analysis & Volume Leveling...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up