INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver ASIO Audio driver as default Windows driver?  (Read 25128 times)

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver ASIO Audio driver as default Windows driver?
« on: November 08, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

Hi,

I don't have the version 19 yet and I am wondering if it is possible to use the JRiver Asio driver as default Windows 7 driver, so I could open any browser and route the audio to any zone and use Jrivers's DSP?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: JRiver ASIO Audio driver as default Windows driver?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:34:31 pm »

No, you cannot use any ASIO driver as the default Windows audio device. You can use the WASAPI loopback in JRiver to route all sound through it. I just started using the VB Audio ASIO Bridge and it works well. You can download the ASIO Bridge package here at the bottom right of the page. It has a driver that you can set as the default audio device and then you select JRiver's ASIO driver for playback. All sound is then routed through JRiver.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:46:44 pm »

No, you cannot use any ASIO driver as the default Windows audio device. You can use the WASAPI loopback in JRiver to route all sound through it. I just started using the VB Audio ASIO Bridge and it works well. You can download the ASIO Bridge package here at the bottom right of the page. It has a driver that you can set as the default audio device and then you select JRiver's ASIO driver for playback. All sound is then routed through JRiver.

That's a neat bit of freeware.  I'm going to spend some time with that tonight I think.

OP, you also may be able to use a combination of loopback and multiple zones to route all audio through JRiver internally as well (as I just discovered this morning).

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:26:07 pm »

Thanks for replying!!! I think the bridge would be better as the loopback will be used for an external input!!!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »

Tools > Line In > WASAPI Loopback is used for internal sources. I've been using it for internal audio since Feb 2012. The ASIO Bridge works better, though.

Tools > Line In > ASIO-line in is used for external sources.

rlebrette

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:02 pm »

This ASIO Bridge seems wonderful! that's exactly what is missing to JRiver. I think that the JRiver team should try to contact the developer. He seems to be an expert in writing audio drivers. He's french, if any help is required  to contact him I can help.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »

Tools > Line In > WASAPI Loopback is used for internal sources. I've been using it for internal audio since Feb 2012. The ASIO Bridge works better, though.

What do you find that's better about ASIO Bridge? I've only played with it a bit, so I can't really judge at this point. Kind of a pain to have another software open to do what loopback does in MC internally..........I suppose it's a more streamlined process not having to grab the stream from the soundcard set to default for loopback. I always had issues trying to run FIR convolution filters with loopback, maybe this is the answer?

TedSmith

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 09:24:37 pm »

This ASIO Bridge seems wonderful! that's exactly what is missing to JRiver. I think that the JRiver team should try to contact the developer. He seems to be an expert in writing audio drivers. He's french, if any help is required  to contact him I can help.
I'm not quite as impressed.

You can't evaluate it to see if it works for you without getting nag screens over and over.

There are a number of small usability issues, e.g. the default volume after installation is 99 for one direction instead of 100, which adds yet another place that might break bit perfect playback.

Worse, for example tho DSD to foo_dsd_asio via the ASIO bridge and then on via DoP to my hardware does work, the ASIO bridge thinks that the DSD sample rate is 44.1k: every time you transition from DSD to 44.1k or visa versa it doesn't change the sample rate and so your sound is garbled.  Clicking twice on the Direct/Passthru button fixes it but there's no way I'm doing that every time my playlist goes from DSD to 44.1, etc.

Another example:  Even tho I never mess with ASIO buffer sizes with any of the handful of devices I have (except when I first install them), the ASIO bridge doesn't work for one sample rate or another without me changing my other driver's ASIO buffer sizes: if I fix it for 44.1 then 192 might fail etc.  Some of my ASIO drivers don't even allow me to change their buffer sizes and hence the ASIO bridge doesn't work with them reliably at all...

I'm sure that these can be fixed, but I'm not waiting for it.

rlebrette

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:31 am »

]
What do you find that's better about ASIO Bridge? I've only played with it a bit, so I can't really judge at this point. Kind of a pain to have another software open to do what loopback does in MC internally..........I suppose it's a more streamlined process not having to grab the stream from the soundcard set to default for loopback. I always had issues trying to run FIR convolution filters with loopback, maybe this is the answer?

There are two advantages for this solution:
  • Nothing to activate in JRiver, the ASIO driver is taking over the current playing list if required
  • It works with convolution, and it works well

Now it's sure that it's not perfect, but it's an open subject with the JRiver team for a while now; I mean writing a standard windows driver that use the JRiver's engine.
And from what I've tested right know, I think it could be a pretty good solution if the JRiver team works with this guy for a more integrated solution.[/list][/list]

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:56:02 pm »

I'm not seeing any advantage (other than the convolution stuff which I haven't tried yet), but I haven't played with it much so I'm probably not using it right. If I want to capture the audio from another program or the web, I need to activate the ASIO bridge. When I want to play from my HD from within MC I need to turn off the bridge.........kinda like turning loopback on and off  :-\

What am I missing?

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »

What am I missing?
Other programs are able to send audio straight to VB-Cable whether they support ASIO or not. It's also seemingly more stable and has lower latency than WASAPI Loopback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up