INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: quick room correction question  (Read 1326 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
quick room correction question
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:31 pm »

hi all,

i've been starting to experiment using JRiver 19 for my DSP on my hifi rather than my receiver...i only have one problem right now

for some reason my satellite speakers won't recognize as standalone, so if i play a test tone through satellite, it plays through the mains and centre as well.  if i do test tones through my receiver, it picks them up as normal.  i've tried stereo (which obviously won't work) as well as 5.1 and 7.1 to the same effect, i'm personally running a 5.1

any suggestions?

i'm running the audio through optical to my sound card FWIW, i also have HDMI to the receiver (for video) with the same audio results.  i'm not sure about my sound card, but i know my graphics card will output full 5.1 because i get dolby output when i play DVD's through JRiver

thanks

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: quick room correction question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »

Optical only carries stereo unless you are encoding the output as Dolby Digital (which I wouldn't recommend).

It sounds like you might have Dolby PLII or similar engaged on the receiver.

Are you using Tools > Advanced Tools > Audio Calibration to test the channels?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:01:51 pm »

snap!  and i know that too, silly me.  but HDMI is fully 5.1 compatible i thought?

i do only get satellite recognition if PLII is set on the receiver, if i set to direct they don't make sound at all which should've tipped me off.  and yes, i'm using test tones through JRiver audio calibration.

so...i need to change my connection from optical is what you're saying?  i do have another HDMI input that i can use on my sound card, i've been going through my HDMI on the graphics card for video

thanks!!!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:03:56 pm »

Your HDMI on the video card should carry audio. Do you have the drivers loaded and does it show up as an audio device in JRiver?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »

i do have another HDMI input that i can use on my sound card, i've been going through my HDMI on the graphics card for video
HDMI can carry both audio and video.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:39:01 pm »

i've got it working now so it takes the straight PCM into the receiver through HDMI.  now to play with the room correction stuff!

the actual problem appears to be, that because the HDMI goes through my graphics card (Radeon 7xxx) i have to have one of my attached monitors (TV, projector) turned on and then enabled in the graphics card software (ATI) before JRiver will see it as an option.  i never noticed before, because i've only used it for video so i always enable and use the other monitor to see the video.  will find a workaround for anyone else who runs into this

thanks again guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up