INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA playback from MC19 shows tracks being played twice.  (Read 1245 times)

jphilpit

• Recent member
DLNA playback from MC19 shows tracks being played twice.
« on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »

This morning, I set up my Denon A/V Receiver as a DLNA Player (Renderer) and tested it on a CD that was ripped to FLAC and never before played in MC. It worked great, except that:
  • all the tracks except the last one show that they were played twice (I played them once)
  • the last track showed as never played
I use the last played and number of times played all the time, so I'd prefer them to be accurate.

The following information might be a hint to what's going on. After playing the FLAC files, I tried playing some lossless WMA files. The Denon receiver said that it couldn't play the format of the new files (which wasn't too surprising). But... when I went back to my PC, it showed all the WMA files from that second folder as having been played once. So maybe it's pre-reading the file to see whether they're playable, and then reading them again at playback time, reporting both reads back to MC19. Just a guess.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA playback from MC19 shows tracks being played twice.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:48:07 am »

The following information might be a hint to what's going on. After playing the FLAC files, I tried playing some lossless WMA files. The Denon receiver said that it couldn't play the format of the new files (which wasn't too surprising). But... when I went back to my PC, it showed all the WMA files from that second folder as having been played once. So maybe it's pre-reading the file to see whether they're playable, and then reading them again at playback time, reporting both reads back to MC19. Just a guess.

My guess is that your guess is correct ;)

( A good UPnP server ought to trial open a file a) to check that it exists, b) read its actual bit rate, bit depth, channel count, size etc., and possibly c) read its current meta data, before it issues the push command to the renderer. Then when the music is streamed to the renderer, the server has to reopen the file again. And very often a renderer will for its part also do a trial GET on the track to read a), b), c) above, before it actually does the real GET to pull the music stream. Indeed I have seen some renderers that do two trial GETs, once to get a), b), c) at the head of the track, and again at the tail of the track to check if there is an ID3 tag (c) at the end. So if both server and renderer are doing trial opens, then the file might actually be being opened up to 4 times for each play operation. I think MC does have the smarts to discount its own trial opening actions, but perhaps it cannot discount the renderers trial opening actions. Particularly since the number of trial openings by the renderer may be between zero and two - depending on the device concerned...)

PS to MC admins: You probably need to move this one over to the Media Network forum too :)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up