INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound through windows, but sound through MC  (Read 4672 times)

vroom

• Recent member
No sound through windows, but sound through MC
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »

Like the title says. I've tried everything, but I can't get any test sounds to come through windows, youtube, etc....

Audio and video all works fine when played through MC. Just nothing the other way. I'm passing it through a Pioneer receiver. Could it be the Intel HD 4000 driver or some kind of pass through issue?

Thoughts anyone?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: No sound through windows, but sound through MC
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:47:20 pm »

If you are talking about going on the web and playing you tube or streaming a video outside of MC thats normal if you have configured MC in exclusive mode.

If this is what you are indeed referring to, just hit the stop button on MC. Or clear playing now or even close it temporarily. And external programs can take over the audio again.  Most of the time jsut the stop button is needed. You might have to relaunch your browser though or at least refresh the page.

If you are running YouTube through JRiver, its probably a configuration issue.

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:27:48 am »

No it is not an exclusive mode issue. I exit media server and media center completely but still no sound through windows.

I can play anything through MC including youtube just fine. For some reason trying to do it outside of that gives me nothing.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »

No it is not an exclusive mode issue. I exit media server and media center completely but still no sound through windows.

I can play anything through MC including youtube just fine. For some reason trying to do it outside of that gives me nothing.

This has just happened to me too. I CAN hear the test tones in the Windows Audio device configuration window, but YouTube etc. are all silent. Will try restarting.
[edit]: Yup, a restart fixed it for me.

rito

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:13:27 am »

Did you update to Windows 8.1 by any chance? I did not have this problem earlier, but it here started after the update.

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:19 pm »

Updating to Windows 8.1 is what caused this to happen. The update crashed the computer and I had to reinstall the OS lol. I'm starting to think it is an HD 4000 driver issue, but when I bypass the receiver with the HDMI cable and hook it up right to the TV then everything works. Sound through windows, everything.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:44:55 pm »

Maybe MC is outputting in an audio format that your receiver can handle, but Windows sound is outputting in a format that it can't.

For example, if Windows was outputting DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD, but your receiver can only handle Dolby AC-3 5.1, or some similar miss-match.

Also check what device Windows is outputting to, and is it the default. Them check what device MC is outputting to. Are they the same device?

Based on your last comment vroom, your PC is outputting sound. It is just that your receiver isn't getting it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:15:48 pm »

Interesting.

Though, it is a newer receiver, Pioneer VSX-1022K so it does handle all the new formats, and did prior to the OS re install.

The default device under windows is also the receiver, same as under MC.

I'll spend some more time on it tomorrow after work!

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

After more troubleshooting it seems when I try to bitstream out of MC it throws an error. So the only way to get sound from the computer is to turn bitstreaming off in MC even then there is still no sound from windows. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the receiver because it was able to decode anything just a short while ago.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 05:30:13 pm »

Doesn't sound good. The receiver should be displaying what it is receiving on the front panel shouldn't it? What does it display?

When I am moving back and forward between using MC and working in Windows it does sometimes take a while before the Windows sounds reassert themselves. Sometimes my HTPC will just mute itself as well, which adds to the possibilities to check. If you shut down MC and just play Windows sounds, does it work? If you play say Youtube videos in a browser, does it play? Perhaps play mp3 file with WMP and see if that works. What does, and what does not work?

I assume that you have looked thoroughly at the Windows sound setup, volumes, muting, outputs and such. Do you have some cheap powered PC speakers that you could plug into the default Windows analogue outputs to see if the sound is coming from there? Maybe Windows is still pushing the sound to the analogue outputs even though you have set it elsewhere.

Also, that receiver has a reset function. Maybe you should try resetting it to factory defaults and see if it works as expected.

Otherwise, I can only suggest that you follow the audio path and see that at each stage settings are compatible, and sound is still present. Or wait for an audio guru to make better suggestions than mine! :)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

The receiver won't display what it is getting unless it is a bitstream. I'm in the middle of doing a complete reinstall with Win 8.1 so we'll see what happens. Just may be a reason to pick up a last year's receiver model on discount!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:20:51 pm »

Oh. My 14 year old Sony tells me what it is receiving all the time. PCM, Dolby, DTS, and the variation of each, plus the speaker configuration.

I had a quick look at the Pioneer's manual but didn't look at what it displays. I would have hoped a modern receiver did more than my old unit.

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 08:49:51 am »

No dice on the windows reinstall. Still no sound in windows or bistreaming. Again, hooking anything up to the TV works fine, just not through the receiver. I'm out of ideas lol.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 04:32:25 pm »

I have the same problem in Win 8.1, JRiver and other ASIO programs play fine, but audio within the windows environment, like internet, non ASIO stuff, wont work. If I manually change sample rate in windows own audio properties (usually changing to 48khz), I can get the windows sounds to work again. Everything worked fine in windows 8, but soon as I upgraded to 8.1, had these sound problems.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »

No dice on the windows reinstall. Still no sound in windows or bistreaming. Again, hooking anything up to the TV works fine, just not through the receiver. I'm out of ideas lol.

Which TV, make and model, do you have?
Is there any way you can get the TV to display what sound signal format it is receiving when playing windows and MC sounds?

The other possibility is that you could have an HDCP issue with the receiver. If the HDCP audio path isn't complete, Windows will not play the sound. At least that is my understanding. So when connecting directly to the TV the HDCP path is complete and everything plays, with MC playing via the receiver the HDCP path is still complete, but when bitstreaming MC sound, or Windows sounds play, HDCP fails and cuts off the sound. There may have been changes in Windows 8.1 that changed the HDCP behaviour compared to Windows 8.

HDCP can be a pain. For example, my 2560x1600 30" Dell 3008WFP monitor is supposed to be HDCP compliant and play Blu-ray discs. . . but it is only compliant when it is 1920x1080 resolution. To play Blu-ray discs on it I have to change the resolution. Annoying, and shouldn't happen, but it does.

I think there may even have been HDCP changes with Windows 8 graphics card drivers. This thread https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?57436-Windows-8-1-and-AnyDVD-HD with an HDCP problem (although different) mentions a solution of using a Microsoft driver rather than display adapter manufacturer's driver. I don't even know if Microsoft makes a HD4000 driver, although I would guess one is included in the Windows 8.1 installation. Probably Intel's own driver though. Check the driver is WDDM v1.2 (actually WDDM v1.3 for Windows 8.1), whether you have the latest and so on.

I assume that you are using the same HDMI out port and cable when connecting to the TV directly or via the receiver, and that you have tested all your HDMI cables between the known working HTPC to TV Direct. Can you connect via the receiver and output sound to the TV via HDMI? Does it work? Make sure that your second HDMI cable is good. Some older HDMI cables caused HDCP problems.

Okay. I'm just throwing out ideas. But these ideas should give you something to look into. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up