INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing mix of PCM, DSF, DFF  (Read 4819 times)

rayooo

• World Citizen
Playing mix of PCM, DSF, DFF
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:27:51 pm »

MC 19 version .41

when changing playback track types to/from PCM to DSF or DFF, I get a fairly loud pop, mostly in the right channel.
when changing playback track types from DSF to DFF, same pop.

Basically going to PCM from DSD, or, DSD from PCM, or DSF to DFF, I get the pop.

Using W4S DAC-2DSDse, USB, ASIO, no DSP.

have tried various play silence settings, play from memory or not, selected DSD over PCM or straight DSD, always get the Pop.

no problem whatsoever after the pop, playback is fine, no skips or hits whatsoever.
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Playing mix of PCM, DSF, DFF
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »

Many DACs exhibit noise when switching in and out of DSD.  From what I can gather, it's a tough problem for the DAC engineers to overcome.

Enabling the option to play startup silence in MC helps with DACs.

The WASAPI option 'Play a little silence on DoP stop' helps some DACs as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »

update:

tried WASAPI & DSD over PCM.   Tried JR18.

tried WASAPI - play silence at stop and other various combinations of play silence settings and durations.

Still pops in all cases, even if going from DSF to DFF tracks.

Going to try another computer just for yuks.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:16:00 pm »

Many DACs exhibit noise when switching in and out of DSD.  From what I can gather, it's a tough problem for the DAC engineers to overcome.
Enabling the option to play startup silence in MC helps with DACs.
The WASAPI option 'Play a little silence on DoP stop' helps some DACs as well.
Switching between DSD and PCM seems to have become worse with the upgrade from MC18 to MC19 for me, and the DAC manufacturer claims that any pops and clicks when switching is a software issue.
One of the features of my DAC is that it's supposed to be silent when switching formats. (and it is when switching PCM formats via MC)

A separate but related issue, is that there are still times when Media Center drops out of DoP when using the DoP encoding function. (sample rate changes, for example)

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:04:49 pm »

Switching between DSD and PCM seems to have become worse with the upgrade from MC18 to MC19 for me, and the DAC manufacturer claims that any pops and clicks when switching is a software issue.
One of the features of my DAC is that it's supposed to be silent when switching formats. (and it is when switching PCM formats via MC)

A separate but related issue, is that there are still times when Media Center drops out of DoP when using the DoP encoding function. (sample rate changes, for example)

I'm supposed to be able to switch between formats also, I wouldn't mind a slight tick or some such, but at this point I get a large POP going to or from DSD to PCM or back 100% of the time. 'really not sure what to think the issue is, I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck with it.  W4S have been utterly fantastic with help and they are going to take a look at the DAC to verify it's not an issue with it. (their in house test systems work fine)  I don't really think the DAC is at fault, and I don't even feel it's a MC issue. Unfortunately for me it is an issue that I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with.  Oh well.. yet another First World problem.

signature8

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »

Following is my problem using Meitner MA-1 and JRiver 19:

I am not able to use WASAPI. This is what is happening under JRiver media player 19.

Tools>Options>Audio Device; I have the following options:

EMM/Meitner ASIO Driver [ASIO] and it works.

Other option is to go under Custom and under custom I have two more options for this device:

Other option; Remote Audio [WASAPI] does not work.

It gives the following error: Something went wrong with the playback. Details: Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI using format 44.1 kHZ 16bit . This output may not be supported on your hardware.....2ch.

Also whenever I play JRiver only shows 176.4kHZ for DSD (dsf) files, it should be 2.8MHz.

Under the new Tools button on the upper right corner of JRiver it says, no changes are being made, but still shows 176.4 KHz 32bit.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:29:35 pm »

Also whenever I play JRiver only shows 176.4kHZ for DSD (dsf) files, it should be 2.8MHz.

That's how DSD bitstreaming (as DoP) is currently reported.  That's because DoP is in a 176.4kHz container.

A future build of MC will make this more clear.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »

Returning to this topic, I've now confirmed with the engineer that designed my DAC, that it should be capable of switching between DSD and PCM silently, so I do wonder if it's a software issue.
Of course there are many DACs out there that will always pop when switching sample rates or formats.

That said, with R128 leveling, I have no interest in playing back DSD in its native format now.
I do wonder if the DSD input filters could perhaps be refined though. (I was actually typing up a post on this earlier today, but other things got in the way)

I am not able to use WASAPI. This is what is happening under JRiver media player 19.
Other option; Remote Audio [WASAPI] does not work.
Are you sure that is the correct device for your DAC?

In the manual it says:
In general for most audio applications you will be able to select the MA-1 USB Audio device (XMOS XS1-L1 Audio) from within the application

And apparently when you are playing DSD, both the 176 and 192 LEDs should light up:

When setup correctly DSD data detected by the MA-1 will cause both the 176.4 and 192 LEDs to light up.

signature8

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:22 am »

Q. Are you sure that is the correct device for your DAC?

A. No, but I was just saying that these are the options available. Today Meitner tech support told me that  I should use "xmos xs1-l1 audio wasapi", but it does not appear in the selection list.

Q.In the manual it says:
And apparently when you are playing DSD, both the 176 and 192 LEDs should light up

A. Yes, both light are ON.

signature8

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:11 pm »

When using Windows Remote Desktop connection to connect to the computer running JRiver WASAPI is not visible as an option. How to get that option under Tools Audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up