INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld device forgotten  (Read 2239 times)

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Handheld device forgotten
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:49:13 am »

I'm using MC 19.0.60.  I have an external USB drive which I configured as a handheld, so I can sync all my music files there as a backup.  However, each time I plug it in, I have to 'add device' again as it's not remembered - neither available as an option when I click Sync Handheld', nor on the drop-down list in the Options menu.  The drive has a name and always uses the same drive letter.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug here?  Thanks in advance for any help :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Handheld device forgotten
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:47:20 am »

I'm using MC 19.0.60.  I have an external USB drive which I configured as a handheld, so I can sync all my music files there as a backup.  However, each time I plug it in, I have to 'add device' again as it's not remembered - neither available as an option when I click Sync Handheld', nor on the drop-down list in the Options menu.  The drive has a name and always uses the same drive letter.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug here?  Thanks in advance for any help :)

For what it's worth, I've had the same problem for quite a while.  I haven't been able to find a way to get JRiver to remember my "handheld" external harddrive.  I'll be interested to hear if anyone has found a way to do this.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:01:37 am »

Thanks - glad I'm not going crazy.  I thought that the point of manually defining a 'handheld device' was to let it work like this?

Would be great to hear from the dev team if this is behaving as intended - so I guess I either have a bug report or feature request!!

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »

Would really appreciate a quick check / answer by the dev team please :)

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:54:16 pm »

Bump - any chance of getting this on the bug list?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 03:52:03 pm »

I'm curious, are you plugging it into the same USB port each time, or a different one?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 03:54:13 pm »

I'm curious, are you plugging it into the same USB port each time, or a different one?
Always the same one.  Machine is running Windows 8.1 btw.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »

Always the same one.  Machine is running Windows 8.1 btw.

I use the same port each time, and have the same problem in Windows 7. 

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 03:59:02 pm »

I wonder if something broke.  I used to use a USB drive as a fake HH, and thought I recall the device being remembered, but that was years ago.  I gave up this method though, as there were sync problems with it constantly.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 05:07:21 pm »

Does anyone know if I need to do anything else to bring this to the attention of the development team?  It is still broken in the latest build I have, and would very much appreciate a confirmation it was added to a 'fix list' somewhere (I do appreciate it won't be a top priority item!).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »

If you add a virtual device to a location that always exists, like C:\My Device, does that work?

Can you reproduce the problem by making a device on a removable drive?  If so, could you provide a step-by-step?

We've had problems in the past with people adding virtual devices to things like \\MyUncPathThatNoLongerWorks.  Then the program bogs when we hit that path (it's a Windows thing with missing UNC paths) and users wonder why.  So we may now disable virtual handhelds that are determined to be missing.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »

If you add a virtual device to a location that always exists, like C:\My Device, does that work?

Can you reproduce the problem by making a device on a removable drive?  If so, could you provide a step-by-step?

We've had problems in the past with people adding virtual devices to things like \\MyUncPathThatNoLongerWorks.  Then the program bogs when we hit that path (it's a Windows thing with missing UNC paths) and users wonder why.  So we may now disable virtual handhelds that are determined to be missing.

Thanks.

Virtual "handhelds" that are always connected (i.e. a path on a local hard drive) seem to stick around for me (although I haven't done extensive testing).  Removable media (USB Sticks, external harddrive) are forgotten the first reboot after they've been removed.  If I don't reboot, I can unplug it and close JRiver, and then plug it back in and start JRiver and it will still be detected.  It's the reboot that seems to break it.

For me, the repro steps are:

1) Plug in external hard drive
2) Add a directory on that drive as a virtual handheld
3) Eject "handheld" and remove drive.
4) Close JRiver and Reboot.
5) Open JRiver and plug in external hard drive.
6) No device is detected.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:06:46 am »

Thanks Matt for the reply, and mwilliams for the post.  I confirm I have the exact same result as mwilliams, I can also confirm that I have another sync set up on a fixed drive which is permanently attached, and that one works flawlessly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up