INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CUE file problems  (Read 5277 times)

scottm_dj

• Recent member
CUE file problems
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:49:09 pm »

My trial just ended and the media server portion alone is worth it (i have a high-end blu-ray player that can "pull" the data from here at 24/96+ and Gizmo is one of the coolest control features I've seen...)  I am certainly going to purchase soon...HOWEVER...

I do have a couple "irritants" I've noticed and just wanted to see if i'm missing something in how it should work...I cant be the only one who's seen this.

1)  Extremely (pun intended) LAME mp3 transcoding.  I use like 99% lossless (FLAC/APE) so when making an mp3 CD first of all it takes ages to build the "image"  Then the only 3 (!) choices are 128K (yuck), 192k  (still bad) and 320k CBR files.  Where is VARIABLE rate 256k for the best sound vs file size?   320K files are WAY too big and everything else has unacceptable sound quality.

2)  Also in CD burning mode, the program is not refreshing "completed" files for either processing or burning and must be run across with the mouse to update.  Just seems a strange bug not to have been noticed...

3) CUE support is intermittent and frustrating:  sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (especially when there is a side 1 and side 2 split).  The same CUE files that work in Foobar perfectly, will for example show only the two file names (each up to 4x listed) instead.  Sure Foobar can split up into individual tracks (I'm sure at at a sound degradation and i use mostly vinyl-convert 24/96 or 192 files so I dont wan't that!).  Plus then there's both CUE and FLAC tracks which confuses the search.  What gives with the way J River is seeing CUE?

Here's an example of a classic album CUE that's NOT working...only shows first track on side 1 and first track on side 2 (4x each!).

PERFORMER "Expose"
TITLE "Exposure"
FILE "Exposure-side1.ape" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Come Go With Me"
    PERFORMER "Expose"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Let Me Be The One"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 04:14:70
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Exposed To Love"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 08:37:32
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Seasons Change"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 12:14:12
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Extra Extra"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 17:07:02
FILE "Exposure-side2.ape" WAVE
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Point Of No Return"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Love Is Our Destiny"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 06:05:57
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "I Know You Know"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 09:26:37
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "You're The One I Need"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 13:23:10
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "December"
    PERFORMER "Expose"

INDEX 01 17:37:50

Can anyone shed any light on these issues?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: CUE file problems
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:28:46 pm »

2)  Also in CD burning mode, the program is not refreshing "completed" files for either processing or burning and must be run across with the mouse to update.  Just seems a strange bug not to have been noticed...
This happens when downloading files too.

Hopefully someone on the JRiver team will be able to comment on these issues. I'm sure they can be resolved.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »

I believe #2 is fixed:
19.0.70 (11/4/2013)

Fixed: The CD burning 'Status' column was not repainting nicely as a burn progressed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »

For #1, CBR is required because we need to be able to (mostly) estimate the size for burning.

If you want total control over encoding, just split encoding and burning into two steps.  Either use 'Convert Format' or a virtual handheld with encoding enabled.  Then burn the output.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scottm_dj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:35 pm »

Just ordered...bottom line is there's way too many great aspects of this program vs what needs a little work....that CUE needs fixing though.

I understand the CBR need...and may do the pre-conversion route.  However, could you guys add a 256CBR as that will sound good enough for car stereo play?  For home, its a completely different story...

Confusion topic:  Right now, I have it set to stream 24-bit FLAC over wireless N network on Win 7 (Specified output format/PCM 24-bit).  I know it receives as 24-bit by checking the BD player input value.  As for sound output, I am using the default (Direct sound)...would the sound be even clearer using WASAPI...does it matter using wireless?   I also stream up to DVD quality files and 'blue-ray light' MKV but anything higher stutters.  My laptop has a HDMI out--would that allow streaming up to BD quality such as BD ISO (my BD player has an HDMI in)?   What is best "output' method...what about the regular ethernet jack vs HDMI for output?

I was surprised to find out you can "kludge" play ISO files.  What about my priceless DVD-Audio backups which ONLY my Oppo 93 plays (only reason i keep it around!).  Is that included as well?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »

Just ordered...bottom line is there's way too many great aspects of this program vs what needs a little work....that CUE needs fixing though.

The CUE file support has needed a re-think and re-design for years.   There is a constant stream of comments about it, but since JRiver supports Video, TV, Mac and now Linux, it has never become a priority.

I've read every thread in the Forum about CUE, and I get the impression that the CUE support was written by a third party, which would explain why it is never properly fixed.

But you are right, overall the program is the best available for audio, and for video playback over a network, which is why we stick with it and experience human frustration when our own uses aren't widespread enough to become a priority for the developers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up