INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to control playback of another computer on the network?  (Read 804 times)

Spencer

How to control playback of another computer on the network?
« on: March 05, 2002, 09:35:06 am »

I have MJ 7.2 on both of my networked home computers.  My main computer is connected into the home stereo.  I'd like to be able to control what is playing out on that system from my second computer.  Is there any way I can do that?

If it helps the main computer is running XP and the secondary computer is running Win2k and they are connected on a 100Mbit LAN.

Thanks,

John

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
RE:How to control playback of another computer on the network?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2002, 09:55:09 am »

Download Media Jukebox 8.0 and install HTML Control Server Interface plug-in.

That will allow you to control Media Jukebox from anywhere in the world.

Regards,
Nikolay

RxMan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 07:24:51 am »

How well does this work? I cannot try it out because the latest MJ8 does not work for me. I have Windows ME.

I want to do the exact same thing as Spencer. I am thinking about using PCAnywhere.

I want to have FULL control of Media Jukebox. Does the plug-in allow this?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2002, 12:47:35 pm »

Not right now, but I think (I'm kind of sketchy on the details) that the potential is there. Of course you have to ask yourself what you realistically mean by FULL control. Is it really feasible to try and rip/burn a CD from the other end of the house? Or transfer files to a portable?

RxMan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2002, 02:14:19 pm »

Well, the only controls I need are to be able to search for songs in the libarary and be able to add them to the Playing Now list. Actually, I may end up installing MJ on my laptop and connecting it to the stereo and then using the music server (or whatever it is called) to access my mp3s on my other computer's hard drive.

There seems to be several options. I want to be able to use the laptop outside on the patio to play mp3s via the stereo. I already plan on having an internet connection on the patio. The only problem with the laptop is storage space for the mp3s.

I see 2 ways.
1. Connect laptop to LAN and control main computer which is connected to stereo.
2. Connect laptop to LAN and directly to stereo and access the mp3s on the main computer.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up