INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Adjusted Volume, please.  (Read 1930 times)

rinoatomy

• Junior Woodchuck
Help with Adjusted Volume, please.
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:56:20 am »

I have all my audio files analyzed, so I created a view that shows the loudest albums first (DR). The loudest album (DR 4) adjusts the volume to -18 db volume leveling.

The thing is, I have an album that is DR 8, and the volume leveling on that album adjusts to -20.db.

Does anyone know why that happens? Because this album sounds a lot quieter.

Thank you.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Help with Adjusted Volume, please.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:34 am »

DR is actually a measure of the average crest factor of the audio track and is not to be used for volume leveling. Volume Level (R128) is used for volume leveling.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:05:32 am »

I have all my audio files analyzed, so I created a view that shows the loudest albums first (DR). The loudest album (DR 4) adjusts the volume to -18 db volume leveling.

The thing is, I have an album that is DR 8, and the volume leveling on that album adjusts to -20.db.

Does anyone know why that happens? Because this album sounds a lot quieter.

Thank you.

The volume leveling isn't based on the Crest Factor DR, it's based on the R128 loudness normalization standard.  It reduces the volume by the amount needed to bring the average level to a specific level of loudness.  Have a look at the R128 spec for more information: http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3342.pdf

JRiver also analyzes the R128 "loudness range," which is labelled "Dynamic Range (R128)."  The R128 loudness range measures something different than the crest factor DR, and will give you different results.  This thread has some more info about some of the differences: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84489.0

EDIT: Mojave beat me to it  ;D

rinoatomy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:51:29 am »

I understand, thanks. I thought I would never mess with the volume again, but some albums unfortunately does sound quieter than others.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:38:48 am »

I understand, thanks. I thought I would never mess with the volume again, but some albums unfortunately does sound quieter than others.

Part of it is that the adjustment is still based on the album as a whole (to preserve intertrack dynamics), but the volume reduction is based on the track that needs the most attenuation, as opposed to being based on a weighted average of the volume adjustments for the individual tracks.  I think that choice was made to avoid clipping when adaptive volume is used together with volume levelling, but it has the side effect that albums will have slightly more volume variation between them than might otherwise be the case (sometimes a significant amount).

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:01:58 pm »

Part of it is that the adjustment is still based on the album as a whole (to preserve intertrack dynamics), but the volume reduction is based on the track that needs the most attenuation, as opposed to being based on a weighted average of the volume adjustments for the individual tracks.  I think that choice was made to avoid clipping when adaptive volume is used together with volume levelling, but it has the side effect that albums will have slightly more volume variation between them than might otherwise be the case (sometimes a significant amount).
It was primarily video playback that was causing clipping to happen, and video playback is handled differently now so that it won't clip.

I'd really like to see this fixed, because I still have to change the volume every time a new album plays.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »

It was primarily video playback that was causing clipping to happen, and video playback is handled differently now so that it won't clip.

I'd really like to see this fixed, because I still have to change the volume every time a new album plays.

I agree; even if clipping were still an issue, there's nothing to say that the boost adaptive volume applies couldn't be calculated slightly differently to compensate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up