INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having problems with DLNA Converting Audio  (Read 1591 times)

Benson98

• Recent member
Having problems with DLNA Converting Audio
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »

I'm having trouble with DLNA automatically converting audio when it is not necessary.  I'm using the latest version of 19 and trying to stream audio to a Linn DS player.

The Linn DS Player can playback (44.1 kHz to 192 but not DSD or 352)

Under the Option\DLNA Services\Audio:

If I select Mode: Original
It plays everything except for DFF and SACD ISO.  This mode plays back the 44.1 kHz\16 Bit at 44.1 kHz\16 Bit

If I select Mode: Specified Output Format Only When necessary:
If plays everything but converts everything.  It takes all the files at the various samples rates and plays them back at the Sample rate I select under the advanced tab.  For the SACD I would like to convert to (176.4 kHz) only.

How can I set it up to only convert the DFF and SACD ISO, while it leaves everything else as is?  Trying to avoid converting the 44.1 kHz, 96kHz and 192 files to 176.4 kHz.

Thanks,

-Benson98

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Having problems with DLNA Converting Audio
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:58:17 am »

The Linn DS Player can playback (44.1 kHz to 192 but not DSD or 352)

If I select Mode: Specified Output Format Only When necessary:  If plays everything but converts everything.

The problem is with the "Only When Necessary" part of your statement...  ;)

The UPnP renderer implements a method called GetProtocolInfo which returns an offer list comprising all the music formats (mime types) that it is capable of receiving (i.e. playing). And the UPnP control point should parse that list and choose from the offered formats one that the server can deliver. And in cases where there are several possible formats that both the server can deliver, and the renderer can receive, then the control point should choose the one having the highest resolution.

Now for reasons of compatibility (by tradition if not by specification) the renderer's ProtocolInfo offer list usually mentions the "standard" formats L16 (aka 44100Hz 16bit 2ch) and MP3 first, and all the more exotic formats after.

So probably, either a) the Linn is not mentioning in its offer list that it can play PCM up to 192000Hz, or b) it is doing so, but MC cannot understand the mime descriptor, or c) MC sees that L16 is offered at the start of the Linn's offer list, judges that this is good enough, and does not look for higher resolution offers later in the list.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Benson98

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »

AndrewFG,

Thank you for the info. 

It must be a problem "GetProtocolInfo" like you said.   I Just found it weird that it won't even recognize 44.1k 16bit files. So it must be that either LINN or JR can't read/send the "GetProtocolInfo" at all.

Prior to using SACD ISOs, I was converting SACD ISO to 176 pcm.  I will go back to doing that and keep the DLNA setting at: Original. With it set to original all the files play at their proper resolution.

Thanks,
-Benson98

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:37:59 pm »

We send protocolinfo but we don't use it. It's been too unreliable from our point of view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up