INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCM to DSD128 offline conversion question  (Read 4388 times)

ted_b

• World Citizen
PCM to DSD128 offline conversion question
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:19:05 am »

I am sorry for a new topic but I searched everywhere for this answer.

I have a new DSD-only DAC inhouse for eval and review, the Lampizator DSD-only prototype.  It's a chipless design with nothing but analog filtering for both DSD64 and DSD128.  Although I have a couple dozen native DSD128 albums (and thousands of DSD ones) I'd like to hear the Lampi play converted PCM too.  I've done a few favorites to DSD128 but now want to do more, probably in bulk.  I am choosing offline because my cpu is not quite up to the task for realtime on-the-fly PCM-to-DSD128, nor do I want to evaluate during such a cpu intensive playback stream even if it did not have issues.  I am willing to pay the storage price for this temporary listening experiment.

Question:  I have WAV and FLAC files, and since I am being anal about it...is there any housekeeping I need to do to insure a best conversion.  Wasn't sure if wav-to-DSD was an easier and theoretically better/smoother conversion flow.  I'm not worried about tags carrying over cuz, worst case, Tag Pasting is simple.  My assumption is "no" but wanted to ask, and an email to Matt would not illuminate this issue for anyone else as goofy as me.  Thx
Ted

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: PCM to DSD128 offline conversion question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:33 am »

I'm not completely clear on the question, but doing DSD to PCM conversion using Library Tools > Convert Format should work great.

Keep in mind that you're baking in the lowpass setting (configured in Options > Audio > Advanced > Configure input plugin > DSD) when doing this.  In most cases, the default 'safe' lowpass is a good choice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:18 am »

I'm not completely clear on the question, but doing DSD to PCM conversion using Library Tools > Convert Format should work great.

Keep in mind that you're baking in the lowpass setting (configured in Options > Audio > Advanced > Configure input plugin > DSD) when doing this.  In most cases, the default 'safe' lowpass is a good choice.

Matt, I'm sorry but I thought I was clear that this is NOT DSD to PCM, it's the other way around (even my subject line says PCM to DSD128).  My DAC is DSD-only and I'm converting some PCM to DSD128 offline (i.e not realtime on-the-fly).  My question is simply:  does the conversion to DSD128 do a better job with wav rather than a FLAC source?  And any other things to help with a quality offline conversion.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:56 am »

My question is simply:  does the conversion to DSD128 do a better job with wav rather than a FLAC source?

No.  All forms of lossless work and sound the same.

When doing PCM to DSD, you might want to add +6.02dB using Parametric Equalizer if you know the DSD sources were created with MC (or mastered such that they don't exceed 50% peak level).  This will make DSD > PCM > DSD in MC have a unity gain.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

This will make DSD > PCM > DSD in MC have a unity gain.

I'm confused.  I have no DSD > PCM, so where would DSD > PCM > DSD exist?.  MY PCM sources that are being targeted for DSD128 conversion (so my DSD-only DAC can play them) have not been converted from DSD previously, or I wouldn't need to convert them, I'd just use the original DSD.   The subjects of this thread are legit PCM sources (redbook and hirez 24 bit).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:24:52 pm »

Levels can be a little complicated when thinking about DSD.  When we encode to DSD, we target 50% modulation as a peak level.  A SACD can get a little louder.  So in theory we could also get a little louder, but then we would get in trouble with some DACs.

I may be giving you more information than you need.  For converting from something that's PCM (like a CD, etc.) to DSD, it'll work great with no extra thought and be at a level that will play safely on all known DACs.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 12:46:39 pm »

Matt, yes I understand DSD levels and that many SACDs are hot (6 db so in some cases).  My large DSD rip library has some that cause some DACs issues, so I tend to be aware of that level.  I am fine with DSD being safe and slightly lower in gain, no big deal.   And I also now understand it doesn't matter to the theoretical nth degree of quality whether the PCM source is flac or wav, thanks.

Follow up issue just noticed, so might as well post it here:
A few times (not all the time), when converting files, the message in the conversion/action window hangs at "processing x of x files" when the detail screen shows "conversion complete".  I realize some housekeeping may be going on, but this message, in the screencap attachment example, has been there for 30 min+.. I checked the beta changelog through 80 and it's not addressed. This example is on build 67.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:18:01 pm »

Follow up issue just noticed, so might as well post it here:
A few times (not all the time), when converting files, the message in the conversion/action window hangs at "processing x of x files" when the detail screen shows "conversion complete".  I realize some housekeeping may be going on, but this message, in the screencap attachment example, has been there for 30 min+.. I checked the beta changelog through 80 and it's not addressed. This example is on build 67.

I've never seen that and I'm using the converter all the time.  Is there any trick to getting it to happen?

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

I've never seen that and I'm using the converter all the time.  Is there any trick to getting it to happen?

No, just lucky I guess.  :)  The only way out is to hit "cancel".  Nothing seems in error, though, with the converted files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up