INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to connect to HT for Movies & Hi Rez Audio? I have a new i7 HTPC  (Read 1615 times)

Vectra

• Recent member

I am struggling with HDMI audio after building a new HTPC.  What are the JRiver settings?  What drivers do I use?   Do I need an HDMI pre/pro (I have Oppo 103 and component Pre/Pro)

Haswell i7, Asus Motherboard w/HDMI,  Just bought a ASUS HD 5450  Radeon HDMI Video card with HDMI (if needed)

I installed the RealTek HD Audio Drivers as instructed by ASUS

HDMI from Motherboard  to Oppo 103
HDMI from Oppo to ZT60 Plasma TV
8 analog cables from Oppo to Pre/pro for sound

JRiver Settings?  I've tried many.  I have hear some CD rez stereo.  How do I play Bluray MKV rips and DSD files?

My only current working usage of JRiver is that I can send these movies & CD & Bluray audio rips over DLNA to Oppo just fine but not DSD or DTS audio files for music.  I'd like to hook the HTPC directly to AV system

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to connect to HT for Movies & Hi Rez Audio? I have a new i7 HTPC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:19:53 am »

First make sure that audio and video are OK outside of MC. I had problems setting up my HTPC and needed to get the video drivers directly from the manufacturer's site. Are you using the 5450 card?

You might need to select the Oppo as your output device. In Windows 7 I have my Denon AVR as the audio output.

You can also try VLC just to see if the files play at all through the computer to the Oppo. VLC is less picky.

Once everything else is up and running then you can get into setting up J River. In the audio settings WASAPI is usually recommended.

And once it is setup and working make a system image so you don't need to go through this again.

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:43:20 pm »

I put the video card in with hdmi
I can play movies in stereo regardless of video player I use but not multichannel
I can play them in surround with dlna

Hdmi is causing me problems.     

rec head

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:08:40 pm »

What version of Windows?

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »

8.1  Windows.

I enabled DTS NEO on my Oppo and now I get surround.  I can hear my DSD MC and Movies in Surround.  All seems good.  I hope this is not some 2-ch conversion to simulate surround :)

Now I need to stretch the PC screen to fill my plasma.   when I had the mother board video it fit perfect.  When I added the video card the screen leaves about an 1" on each side.  I don't want plasma burn in. My format selections on the TV zoom and crop the screen.

thx!

rec head

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 02:00:20 pm »

Not to rain on your parade but you should not have to use Neo for processing. If your source material is multi-channel then you should be able to get multi-channel to the Oppo. I haven't even touched a W8 machine so I don't know anything about setting it up. Maybe the folks in the AVS HTPC forums could help out.

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 04:56:23 pm »

yes...I turned off DTS NEO.   stereo only except DTS music.

I am not sure why HDMI movie audio is so hard.  perhaps Windows 8.1? I had ASUS tech support 3 times, I spent about 4 hours at Micro Center with their tech support.  I swapped Motherboards.  I tried a Video card.   I'm at a loss on how to get 5.1 movie sound out of a computer.   I can get stereo as a workstation and with my Oppo 103 pre/pro.

I can get 5.1 movie sound DLNA to Oppo.

rec head

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:38:57 pm »

Like I said try the AVS forum or http://assassinhtpcblog.com/

What is your audio device set to in windows?

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »

not sure why I couldn't get the mother board to work but when i added the video card and downloaded the Catalyst driver from AMD site (vs using the VGA driver form the DVD) I now get 8 ch vs 2ch. 

So I think I'm back in business.  thx.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 02:13:48 am »

to get rid of the black borders you need to go into AMD Catalyst control center and go into adjusting scaling in the Catalyst Control Center.  Scaling options is available only to those displays running native resolution
This will allow you to stretch the screen to suit your display
Pages: [1]   Go Up