INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taging Mode and multiple checkboxes - possible?  (Read 1064 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Taging Mode and multiple checkboxes - possible?
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »

I never used Tagging Mode before but I hope I got its purpose right - should it enable checking multiple checkboxes within one field?
How about field Genre? I noticed that using "Get Movie & TV Info" it usually populates the field with multiple items (like "Action; Adventure; Crime; Thriller") and that I can see all those checkboxes being checked in the Pane. Now if I switch to Tagging Mode (in order to let's say add one more genre) and I check that box, all the other checkboxes get unchecked. In other words no matter what I do I can always check only one checkbox - not more.
What am I doing wrong?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Taging Mode and multiple checkboxes - possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »

Tagging in the Panes doesn't allow multiple checks for [Genre] and [Artist].  That's because those fields are "special" (and traditionally not list-type fields in MC).  To tag Genre and Artist with multiple values, you have to do it in the Tag Action Window or Columns, and type them in manually.  You can use semicolon delimited lists and MC will parse it right, but you have to enter them by typing.

It would be really nice if it could be changed to allow Control-Click to multi-select, and regular click to work like it does now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:22:57 pm »

I see (thanks for the clarification)
I must say then it is pretty dumb the way it is now...  ::)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:34:13 pm »

Well, there are usability and historical reasons.

Up until last year, MC always treated [Artist] and [Genre] as regular string-type fields, not List type fields.  People can disagree, but I (for one) appreciate this and wouldn't want it to be changed.  That's because when I want to fix an Artist tag from, say, "Beetles" to "The Beatles" or "Tori Amos" to "Amos, Tori", I can just click one box in the Artist Pane to apply the "corrected" tag.

If I decide a song belongs in a different Genre?  I just click a box.

Otherwise, it is difficult to clear tags, and confusing for LOTS of users.  If [Artist] and [Genre] were regular List Type fields, they'd work like Keywords does in the panes.  Meaning, if something comes in tagged as "Beetles" and you tag it "The Beatles" in the panes, but then don't remember to find and UNCHECK the "Beetles" box, now you have it tagged BOTH ways.

So, the issue was that MC was importing tags from TVDB and other sources that did use multiple Genres and Artists and whatnot.

So, they changed it, but only partially.  It still works like a traditional string-type field as far as MC's UI is concerned (it IS a string-type field internally) but it is parsed for display as a List Type field (semicolon delimited).  It was a compromise.  Allow MC to use the imported Genre lists from TMDB and whatnot, but not break existing workflows for everyone.

It is an ok compromise, but I do find that sometimes I want to tag multiple Genres, and it would be nice to be able to do it in the Panes, if there was a way to do it without having [Genre] and [Artist] ALWAYS work as List Type fields.

I think allowing multiple entries by control-clicking tags in the Panes would be the simplest solution.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 05:47:30 pm »

I think allowing multiple entries by control-clicking tags in the Panes would be the simplest solution.

It certainly would.
Adding "Uncheck all" function within a field while in Tagging Mode would not hurt neither  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up