INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intel 4 Cores or AAMD 8 Cores  (Read 805 times)

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
Intel 4 Cores or AAMD 8 Cores
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:02:15 pm »

What's better for JRiver and watching Blu Ray movies.  4 faster cores from Intel, or 8 cores from AMD.  Building a new Blu Ray library and music machine for JRiver 19.  Also, if you choose Intel is superior for sure, is an i7 required or would you recommend an i5?

Thanks,

Maestro2be
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Intel 4 Cores or AAMD 8 Cores
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:31:31 pm »

Intel for sure.

MC makes good use of additional cores, but it does not scale to "truly massive" multithreaded performance to the degree necessary for an AMD core (which has, comparatively miniscule, Instructions Per Clock performance).  AMD's Bulldozer cores are just not that good, and aren't a good choice for almost any "desktop" PC.  They could be more competitive in small-form-factor devices (tablets, small-form-factor devices, and other places where the Atom and Ultra-Low Voltage versions of the Intel CPUs compete), but they don't have very many good design wins (other than, of course, the huge ones in the PS4 and XBone).

In other words, it still holds that for the vast majority of users, on a desktop:  IPC is king.

Now, that doesn't mean you want a single-core machine.  Balance is everything in life, of course.

I don't have specific recommendations on the CPU.  I will say that you'd certainly be fine with a Core i5-class chip (the primary difference between the two being Hyperthreading) if you are planning to use a discreet GPU.  If you aren't planning to use a discreet GPU, then the decision becomes murkier.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up