INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DragonFly and JRiver  (Read 3125 times)

senojhrj1

• Recent member
DragonFly and JRiver
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »

I am using latest Media Center 18.  I use it on Dell XPS 8500 i7 Windows 7 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 620.  It is connected to Marantz receiver with HDMI.  I have read about the DragonFly and I cannot determine if there are any benefits using it to connect to the receiver instead of the HDMI.  What do you recommend?  Thanks! Harry

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DragonFly and JRiver
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:00:59 am »

The Dragonfly is a USB DAC?  I think HDMI will give you more flexibility with uncompressed surround channels but apart from that I think it's a case of whether the Dragonfly, or the myriad of other USB DACs, has better DACs than the Marantz, and this is the type of question that could go round in circles and the only conclusion is that it may or may not sound better to you personally.

senojhrj1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:32:55 am »

csimon
Thanks for your reply.  I understand, and I had almost concluded it was a competition of the DAC's.  I like the sound from the Marantz and you have confirmed my thoughts. 

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:02 am »

i agree with you, i dont see any benefit of using a dragonfly dac, when your marantz has a built in dac that is probably better...
what marantz do you have?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:51:47 am »

The Dragonfly has been fine in my experience.  I suspect the few problems people have had are USB related.  There was a Microsoft patch for USB on Win 8.  I think there's a link in the Weird Problems link in my signature.  Or search at MS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up