INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IVB Wife's checklist to decommission Roku/Sage extenders  (Read 2189 times)

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
IVB Wife's checklist to decommission Roku/Sage extenders
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »

This doesn't fit anywhere else, so I'll post it as a cheap thrill.

In case anyone cares, I thought I'd write up a "what would it take for the wife to be okay with me decommissioning the Roku & Sage extenders, and go strictly to JRiver". Right now there's no compelling reason to cut over as I own 2 Roku3's and 2 Sage HD200 (with 1 HD300 as a spare). But that doesn't mean I'm happy with the current state, indeed I'm seriously bugged with a few things. If I can figure out how to do the following, I'd cut over tomorrow.

Note: This isn't meant to be a whiny post asking for JRiver to cater to one customer who only paid $50 for a license. I'm happy to attempt to do this myself, I post this more as a blog entry in case anyone has any guidance. This also assumes I'm keeping the SageTV server to perform recording.

Already exceeds current state[/u]
  • Single Video Source for both ripped DVD, TV, local discs, & streaming
  • Much more visually pleasing interface. (not that important to wife sadly)
  • Much simpler GUI as IVB deleted many menu items, or re-arranged others.
  • Wondering if there's anything else. Wondering if the PQ is better via MC RO on the 106" 1080p projector/screen than HD200/roku, haven't done a comparison yet though.

Must Have to Achieve Parity
  • change hulu submenu to have queue as first menu item
  • change hulu submenu to delete unneeded views
  • Organize HuluPlus Queue tv shows into series instead of one long list
  • Rich CQC driver for MC. (This ones on me, I need to write a CQC driver for MC REST. Which isn't simple.)

Must have to provide incremental value (aka a reason to switch)
  • universal search across local library, streaming (huluplus, netflix, amazon instant video is ideal)
  • Voice Control via my/kids Android devices. (doable today, I just need to stitch together Autovoice->Tasker->CQC->MC. I don't think iOS has an AutoVoice app though, so wife is SOL)

Tough to live without but possible
  • show & play amazon owned movies
  • In TheaterView, mark a show as watched
  • In TheaterView, mark a show as unwatched

Incremental Value, but I realize its unlikely in the next 6-12 months as some require both JRiver & external to do stuff
  • show & play google play movies (I don't think Google allows this)
  • Display CQC/HomeAutomation information within it in textual format (CQC has a rich API, or I can have CQC create a text file with status every 60 seconds. I need a way to display in TheaterView, ??Allow MCWS??)
  • Create some mechanism in TheaterView for me to control CQC. (could be via hitting a CQC web server URL, CQC will take over)
  • Display CQC/HomeAutomation information within it in graphical format (distant future - CQC currently cannot provide this)

Thats all I can think of (for now), i'll keep this post updated with accomplishments or other things I thought of in any of those categories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up