INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a Learning IR Remote Recommendation, if you please.  (Read 8908 times)

Belarathon

• World Citizen
Need a Learning IR Remote Recommendation, if you please.
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »

Greetings:

I am hoping someone can point me to an IR learning remote that supports accelerated scrolling in JRiver, like the ATI Remote Wonder does.  With the RW, after a few seconds, it'll scroll through JRiver's lists and menus at blistering speed.   My goal is to control both my DAC/preamp and JRiver with the same remote.  Currently, I am using a cheap X10 U74a IR learning remote to accomplish that goal.  However, it's scrolling speed in JRiver is frustratingly s-l-o-w.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Best,

CF
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Need a Learning IR Remote Recommendation, if you please.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »

Check out the Logitech Harmony Range.

I have used the Harmony One and Harmony Touch and they are both very good.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:35:12 am »

If you find the perfect universal remote, please share.

I'd think that the quest for the Holy Grail would be an easier mission.

Ideally, have a remote that worked seamlessly with IR and RF, with capability to launch executables as an easily configurable package (aka Logitech Harmony style) for the non-UberNerd would be what I'd like... still searching.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Belarathon

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:25:51 am »

Thanks for the tip Micro, I shall look into it.  In truth Astro, the one I'm using is livable.  I mean, it does have accelerated scrolling, just not the uber-speed of the Remote Wonder.
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 05:53:16 pm »

Seconded for the Harmony range.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »

I just got given one of these RC  ;D - no idea how it works yet!

JRiver CEO Elect

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:36:34 pm »

URC has been a recommended alternative to the Harmony series:  http://www.universalremote.com/index.php

Logitech had announced in January that they were selling their Harmony remote business and would no longer manufacture remotes.  They later announced in June that they had changed direction and would retain their Harmony remote business.  Since many Harmony remotes require the use of a 'MyHarmony' internet service run by Logitech for programming/updating, this is something to keep in mind.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:02:55 pm »

I am currently using the Harmony 900 remote for my home theater but have not integrated JRiver yet.
This does look like a task that I may soon tackle since another reader suggested the Flirc for the PC receiver.
I suspect the 'accelerated scrolling' you are looking for might be an issue with this remote. I'm going to find if it is.

I don't know what the newer Harmony models are but here are my opinions on the Harmony 900.
Cost - Expensive.
Conceptual Design - Excellent. The 'Activity' over 'Device' concept simplifies use for non-technical users everyone (WAF). The idea of putting devices into activities is quite natural.
Physical Design - Excellent. The number, placement and shape of buttons go a surprisingly long way to using the remote by touch. Something that I feel would be more difficult with to do with the cooler looking tablet type remotes. The button placement with dips, curves and bumps are great tactile feedback. I use this to skip commercials, forward and backward by finding the bump on the button.
RF ability - mixed. Not having to point the remote is something you get used to very quickly. On the other hand the RF to IR step can be long. The 900 has some software bug where the delay between key press and IR transmission can be very long. Not often but too long when it does occur.
Programming - can get a little tedious if you like to do a lot of fiddling.

The next thing to figure out is what device to tell the Harmony the PC ( and therefore JRiver) is. There may be something in the Harmony database already that can be used. That's the next step for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up