INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible bug/anomaly in MJ 7.2.28  (Read 981 times)

Keith

Possible bug/anomaly in MJ 7.2.28
« on: March 02, 2002, 02:26:09 pm »

Running Win2k with MJ 7.2.280 plus on a p2-300 w/ 384 megs ram.  Just noticed something about MJ's cpu usage.  When MJ is minimized to the system tray it takes about 15-18% cpu time.  When it is in "megame" mode, it takes about 20% cpu time.  When I put it in "minime" mode, the cpu usage jumps to 45%.  All numbers are while playing a 128kb mp3 file (the same one), and it is very consistent.  These numbers are also after it finishes "settling down" from the mode change.  It was doing this with version 7.2.272, so I upgraded to 7.2.280 but the problem is still there.
 I don't know if this is due to something on my computer, or it's a bug in MJ.  Maybe some other people can try it out to see?

Keith

IQ10

RE:Possible bug/anomaly in MJ 7.2.28
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2002, 02:46:09 am »

Yesterday, on two occassions, without MJ running, my CPU utilization went to 100%.
A process, msimn.exe, was the named villain.  This module is used in Outlook Express.  So Microsoft has the same kind of problem.  Most of us do not even track the %CPU utilization. Debugging means 'just get it to not crash'. It should mean, get it to work as well as data structures and hardware speed theoretically allow. That would require time, and the resources to carefully examine the details of the data structure and its coding.  And that would require cooperation (or government mandate) between competing interests.

Every time I boot my computer, I see an hour glass, and a screen I do not control.  Need not, and should not, be that way.  What to do?

[former member]

IQ10

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2002, 03:12:52 am »

ooops ... I meant to ask, if you could post the name of the running processes and the resources they are using when this happens.

Keith

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2002, 03:51:58 pm »

I fully understand that other running processes will have an impact on MJ's performance and that new features are more important than squeezing every last little bit of work out of each second of cpu time. It may very well be an outdated dll, a configuration setting, or any number of other things which may be specific to my machine - which is why I suggested other people trying the same test that I did.
 I killed off processes to get to your basic win2k stuff and tried the same test (128kbps mp3).  MJ is taking about 40-45% while in mini-me mode, system idle process is taking about 45-55% with the remainder being gobbled up occasionally by one or more of the following : taskmgr.exe, iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, csrss.exe, lsass.exe, system.
 I did notice something else.  If MJ is not playing anything and is in minime mode, it takes 15-16% cpu time as long as it is open (doesn't need to be the active window, just open).  If I minimize it, cpu time drops to 0%, megame is 0% as well.

Keith

JollyJim

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2002, 03:57:33 pm »

[former member]

Just read your reply re msimn being part of Outlook Express. I've often wondered how you track back from a live prog to determine what application owns it. If you've got a coupla mins to explain I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Jolly(still)Jim

IQ10

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2002, 02:44:20 am »

Jolly Jim

'msimn' apparently stands for 'Micosoft Internet Mail & News'.  It runs in background and checks for mail.
I learned this from posts to http://lists.wi2600.org/pipermail/2600/2000-July/000549.htmlt.

http://www.softwaredirections.com/ptree/index.htm

[former member]
Pages: [1]   Go Up