INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any option to disable new JRiver ASIO driver?  (Read 5917 times)

CadErik

• World Citizen
Any option to disable new JRiver ASIO driver?
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:51:08 pm »

I use pro audio applications to produce music, and since MC 19, every time I start one of my apps, JRiver starts too. I suppose it is because of the new ASIO driver. I can't find any options to disable the driver, I found a topic to remove reg keys (which worked) but I was wondering if a persistent setting was planned (or even an option during installation?)

Erik.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any option to disable new JRiver ASIO driver?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:26:37 pm »

Someone else reported this.  I don't think the other software should be loading the ASIO drivers unless you tell it to.  Maybe there is an option to disable this.

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:07:35 pm »

Someone else reported this.  I don't think the other software should be loading the ASIO drivers unless you tell it to.  Maybe there is an option to disable this.

None of the pro-audio software I know has that option (Sonar X2, Vegas Pro or FL Studio).

kktan

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:50:50 am »

Same for me. I'm using a proaudio spectrum analyser software, each time I want to select my ASIO device JRiver would load even before I select which device to use.

The ability to disable JRiver ASIO would be good.

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

Based on my recent experience with Sony Vegas Pro and Sony Sound Forge 10, try uninstalling MC (and do take the "remove registry entries" option) and then reinstalling. (Don't forget to back up your library.)

JimH: Like MC, other software does enumerate the audio drivers on the system when it starts up, so as to offer you a menu. I've never seen any such app that allowed you to specify "next time, don't even look for audio drivers of type xyz." Even if it did, it wouldn't help with my case, in which the other app crashes long before I could ever get to any such dialog.

I agree with the others - how about giving MC the option to NOT export an ASIO driver unless we tell it to?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:20 am »

I agree with the others - how about giving MC the option to NOT export an ASIO driver unless we tell it to?

No pro audio software has any options to "ignore" a specific driver. Over here - v19 was causing major issues for me in Wavelab and in Studio One v2 - until I told those apps to NOT use the JRiver ASIO driver - which somehow suddenly "became" the default within both of my apps as soon as I installed v19.

A simple switch back to my RME driver (within the apps) did the trick and I am no longer bothered by MC v19 in any app. Either it's a JRiver thing - promoting itself to primary driver AFTER install or a Windows thing - either way - it's easily fixable.

That said - I fully support an option to NOT install any additional ASIO drivers unless I specifically want them - and on my DAW installs - that answer is always no. Tis unfortunate that JRiver continues to assume that it's ASIO driver is somehow a requirement - even when (in a pro audio setting)  - it's unwanted and most unnecessary.

Having an app automatically mess with lower lever audio drivers on any given machine - is to me - well outside the boundaries of what a typical app should be able to install - without notification to the user. It should be an option.

VP

dean70

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »

Maybe as an extra item under the Options=>Features screen?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:06:21 pm »

I use pro audio applications to produce music, and since MC 19, every time I start one of my apps, JRiver starts too.

Are you running the latest MC?

The latest MC only launches when the app actually starts playback to the driver.  I wouldn't expect it to do that unless MC is the selected output driver.

If you are on the latest MC, what program are you using?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 12:15:10 am »

Sony has replied to my support case on this issue (re. Vegas Pro 12 and Sound Forge 10), saying that

The MC audio device related issue is a known issue to be resolved in a future update of the application. Thank you for reporting this issue.

It would still be good if MC could include an option to not export the ASIO driver. I doubt that every other audio software that enumerates the ASIO devices on the system is going to be so responsive to support cases.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:55:31 am »

I installed the trial of 'Sound Forge Pro'.  When I pick a default device, it plays to that device and leaves MC alone.  When I pick 'JRiver Media Center 19' as the device, it'll play to MC.  In other words, it seems to be working nicely for me.

Regardless, next build:
Changed: The JRiver ASIO driver can be enabled and disabled in Options > General > Features > ASIO Driver.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:15:58 am »

Regardless, next build:
Changed: The JRiver ASIO driver can be enabled and disabled in Options > General > Features > ASIO Driver.

Appreciate it!

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:23:00 am »

I think it might be helpful to clarify what an ASIO driver is.  They are different than a traditional WDM driver, which is loaded at boot time and runs in kernel mode.

An ASIO driver is just a DLL sitting on your hard drive.  There are also two values in the registry to say "the DLL has this ID and it's at this path on the hard drive" and "this ID is an ASIO driver with this name".  This is less than 100 bytes of data.

The ASIO driver (ie. that one DLL) is only loaded when it's actively in use by a host.

In other words, the driver has no impact on the system, memory usage, boot time, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up