INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to ensure only "full" albums get displayed in my "albums" view  (Read 2625 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Happy Holidays!

Doing a bit of library cleanup this week and had a question on a view that I have that displays recent albums by year. It's very basic - just displays albums releases from a given year and right now I have it showing "stacks" of albums from the year 2000 - 2013.

The view works great but I want to ensure it only displays "full" albums. Right now - I see the occasional "album" that is really a comp but has one track from 2002 so this single track shows up as an "album" in the 2002 stack. Same thing for singles...one or two track single dated 2005 - so it shows in the 2005 view.

I really want to ensure this view shows only albums that are truly full - no single tracks etc. Any expressions or tricks I can try?

Cheers,

VP

connersw

Re: How to ensure only "full" albums get displayed in my "albums" view
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:48:37 am »

Right Click on the View -> Customize View -> Settings -> Set rules for file display -> Rules -> Add New Rule

Drop downs:
1st: Complete Album
2nd: is
3rd: True

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:36 am »

Right Click on the View -> Customize View -> Settings -> Set rules for file display -> Rules -> Add New Rule

Drop downs:
1st: Complete Album
2nd: is
3rd: True

Already have tried this within the view - no change. That said - I do not believe this has any effect within a "view".

Ex: if I have a single track (from a comp) suddenly appearing in my 2002 "albums" view - simply because that track has the year 2002 in it's tag - does not mean the actual comp album it comes from is incomplete. Rather the opposite - the actual comp has 15 tracks and is "complete" so I can see why this track appears in here.

Any other ideas?

VP

connersw

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:17:25 pm »

Yeah, I don't do that.  I use the year the compilation was released; not when the track originally was.

My suggestion works; just not with the way you keep your tags.  You would need to do something in your view hierarchy to keep the whole album together.  For example, Album Artist. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:21:06 pm »

You may want to search the forum some more...

I'm reasonably sure I've seen MrC help someone solve this exact query before.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »

Yeah, I don't do that.  I use the year the compilation was released; not when the track originally was. My suggestion works; just not with the way you keep your tags.  You would need to do something in your view hierarchy to keep the whole album together.  For example, Album Artist. 

I use Album Artist consistently - but that doesn't matter for this problem. For all my comp albums - every if the Album Artist is a single artist - each track on the comp gets it's orginal release date/year - vs using the release date of the comp.

That way - when I am rocking playlists - the tracks stay within their correct decades/time frames. I can't have a track originally released in 1972 - suddenly appearing in a playlist that is 2005-present - just because the comp album the track is on - was released in 2007.

VP

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »

If you have an album with 9 tracks originally released in 2010 and 1 track from 2000, should that album be included at all, or rejected even from the 20010-2013 grouping (because it would be incomplete, missing the single 2000 track)?  Or should the 9 tracks be included, and the 1 track omitted from all groupings?  What about 8 and 2?  Or 7 and 3?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 01:24:53 pm »

If you have an album with 9 tracks originally released in 2010 and 1 track from 2000, should that album be included at all, or rejected even from the 20010-2013 grouping (because it would be incomplete, missing the single 2000 track)

If there is a way to do it - my preference is to completely ignore anything that is NOT a full album - including any comps, singles etc. A comp like a Greatest Hits - to me - is not an "album" in the same sense of something like a newly recorded collection of tracks done for a movie soundtrack or similar.

Take a comp like - Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin - this one works with it's 3/14/1995 release date as all tracks were released on the same day - while others - like Foo Fighters Greatest Hits (with tracks spanning 1995-2008) - I do not care to see in any album view. I would not tag that collection with a November 3, 2009 date either since it makes no sense to me or the structure of my smartlists.

So - if a comp has just 2 tracks from 2001 on it - I do not want to see that album - at all - in my 2001 view. Or any other view for that matter.

VP

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »

If there is a way to do it - my preference is to completely ignore anything that is NOT a full album - including any comps, singles etc. A comp like a Greatest Hits - to me - is not an "album" in the same sense of something like a newly recorded collection of tracks done for a movie soundtrack or similar.
The easiest way I can think of to do this, though it might require some work, would be using keywords to tag an album as a "compilation" or a "single" and excluding those keywords from your view.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 01:35:28 pm »

Ok, in that case...

If you want a semi-automated way to do this, you probably want to calculate the range of track dates for your albums.  You'd setup a maintenance view which will be used to calculate the High and Low years of each album, and store those in some field or two.  You could use a single field, such as Track Date Range, and it could be formatted as YearLow;YearHigh and just a single Year when high = low, or set YearLow and YearHigh to be the same thing, or you could use two fields, a YearHigh and a YearLow field and set those only when the dates vary.  You'd assign these fields in your maintenance view, and the view would use global variables to do the cross-track, album-wide calculation.  You'd  use this view to calculate all your albums the first time, and you can manually configure these fields for the future, or re-run the assignment en-masse.

Then, in your smartlist, you will not include any tracks if YearHigh and YearLow differ, or are outside of any single range.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 03:17:06 pm »

Ok, in that case...

If you want a semi-automated way to do this, you probably want to calculate the range of track dates for your albums.  You'd setup a maintenance view which will be used to calculate the High and Low years of each album, and store those in some field or two.  You could use a single field, such as Track Date Range, and it could be formatted as YearLow;YearHigh and just a single Year when high = low, or set YearLow and YearHigh to be the same thing, or you could use two fields, a YearHigh and a YearLow field and set those only when the dates vary.  You'd assign these fields in your maintenance view, and the view would use global variables to do the cross-track, album-wide calculation.  You'd  use this view to calculate all your albums the first time, and you can manually configure these fields for the future, or re-run the assignment en-masse.

Then, in your smartlist, you will not include any tracks if YearHigh and YearLow differ, or are outside of any single range.

Thanks for the tips. But I do not think this would work for singles (where say we have a CD single with 3 cuts - all with the same year) - this would still show up.

I think I need a custom field - and while I just stumbled across Album Type - sadly it's a read only field - but does contain data placed by MC - albeit not useful to this issue.

This custom field could assign things like:

Single Artist (Album)
Single Artist (Compilation)
Single Artist (Single)

and so on. My views would use Single Artist (Album) and should be problem solved. Guess I will need to make a custom field and do a little work myself :)

Cheers,

VP

MrC

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »

Of course there is no way to automatically detect what you consider "an album" (i.e. your CD w/3 tracks), so those would need to be tagged manually to differentiate them.

Still, you could use the technique I suggested as a first past, best-guess effort, and then override manually those that need adjustment.  You don't need to use a Hi/Low field, but could use a Boolean field instead that you set either manual, or automatically (initially, at least) based on the Hi/Low evaluation.

The Album Type is auto-generated from MC's album analyzer.  The Complete Album field comes from this analysis too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up