INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why can't I create a library view and CHOOSE which albums go into it?  (Read 1259 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

I'm very much hoping the answer to this question is going to be "YOU CAN!". But I've spent hours looking for a way to do this and I can't find one.

All I want to do - it seems so terribly simple - is create a library view under the AUDIO heading entitled, say, "My favourite albums", then choose which of the albums in my collection should go into this folder. My choice would change from time to time so I would need the ability to add new files and delete existing ones at will.

As far as I can see the existing setup is very rule-based in the sense that you have to give J River a rule to follow as to which albums it puts in any given folder. But I can't create a rule for "My favourite albums" because it's based purely on my own personal feelings which change over time.

Is there a way of setting up an AUDIO folder that you can manage manually?

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why can't I create a library view and CHOOSE which albums go into it?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:13:06 pm »

YOU CAN!

1) Right click Audio -> Add Library View -> Albums
2) In the Name: Field, replace Albums with My favourite albums -> OK
2) Right click My favourite albums -> Customize View -> Settings -> Included Files -> Set rules for file display -> Rules
3) First Field select Album; Second Field select is; Third Field check whatever albums you want included

As your feelings change, go back into the Rules section and uncheck what albums you are tired of and check new ones.

An alternative would be to create a custom tag field and have your view filter by that.  Let me know if you would like to do it that way, and I can provide more information.

If you rate your tracks, you could also create a view that pulls albums with your top rated tracks (assuming those would be your favorite albums).  Again, if you want to go that route, I can provide more input.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Why can't I create a library view and CHOOSE which albums go into it?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:21:59 pm »

That is A-MAZ-ING!

Thank you so much - it would have taken me weeks to figure it out or, more likely, I'd never have got there at all.

I don't really go in for ratings. I did wonder if there was a way of doing it with tags but it would have been a bit clumsy and this way is much better.

Thank you again - whole new vistas of J River enjoyment have now been opened up to me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up