INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Mini Recommendation  (Read 3813 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Mac Mini Recommendation
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:29:13 am »

I am replacing my '09 Mac Mini because the fan or something is failing making lots of noise.  So do I need the quad core model for MC19 Red October HQ?   I have been able to run everything on current Mini except for RO HQ mode and a few interlaced videos under regular mode.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
Re: Mac Mini Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:15 am »

I am replacing my '09 Mac Mini because the fan or something is failing making lots of noise. 
Just so you know, most parts are available.  Not that expensive either.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

Just so you know, most parts are available.  Not that expensive either.
I hear they are hard to open up especially the model I have.  I had this problem a month ago, took it to the Apple store where they found nothing; since then it has run fine 'til now.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:18:10 am »

The older Macs were certainly a pain to get into, but there's no need to replace the system over a cheap part like that.

iFixit has clear step-by-step guides for each model.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:31:05 am »

Ok, I'll take a stab at fixing it.  But if I were to get a new one would the quad core be necessary to run MC19 to the max?

freddie40

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:43:42 am »

Here are the differences between the 2009 and the new model.

The new model has the power supply built into the computer.  Bad Bad Bad.  This really affects the quality of the sound.  The faster processor does not help, nor more than 8GB of RAM.

The 2009 Mac mini has an external power supply that you can move far from the computer.  Good, good, good.  Maxing it out to 8GB of RAM and putting in a SSD will make the an excellent Music server.  Opening up the computer is fairly easy with a 4" putty knife.  When you do it make sure that you have 8GB of RAM installed, maybe pop in the SSD.  With the RAM ($80), Fan ($50) and the SSD ($99) you will be very happy and will have saved a bunch of money.  You will also have replaced many of the parts that fail.

Dave
Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini  /  Mountain Lion -> JRiver -> Ayre QB9 -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent interconnects & Wire |  Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:45:33 am »

I hear they are hard to open up especially the model I have.  I had this problem a month ago, took it to the Apple store where they found nothing; since then it has run fine 'til now.
Nah.  I get them open in 30 seconds.  Seriously.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

freddie40

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 11:48:47 am »

Nah.  I get them open in 30 seconds.  Seriously.

I totally agree.  On a Mac that has never been opened by an inexperienced user maybe a few minutes.  Still very easy.  Using a 4" putty knife makes it easier.

Dave
Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini  /  Mountain Lion -> JRiver -> Ayre QB9 -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent interconnects & Wire |  Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 12:05:26 pm »

Where do you get the parts?

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen

My podcast:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:45 pm »

So for the OP this is the fan that you're probably talking about.  http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Intel-Mac-Mini-Fan-p-17673.html

My podcast:

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »

Here are the differences between the 2009 and the new model.

The new model has the power supply built into the computer.  Bad Bad Bad.  This really affects the quality of the sound.  The faster processor does not help, nor more than 8GB of RAM.

How would the power supply affect the sound if I am using the USB digital output?  I could understand a possible  effect on the analog output but I will never use that.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:35 am »

Where do you get the parts?
Once you know the model of Mac that you're looking for, I generally find that it's cheapest to source the parts off eBay. I've had to do that a couple of times to fix an older MacBook rather than replace it.

The instructions for how to replace the fan will be here: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini (you probably have an A1283?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up