INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configure what files to import to Library  (Read 923 times)

john925

• Recent member
Configure what files to import to Library
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:28:05 pm »

I want to make another library where only some part of my all files can bee seen.  For example, I only want dsf files to be imported into the library but not dff files.  Or I only want albums containing more than 10 tracks to be imported into the library.  Any way to make it work by expression language?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Configure what files to import to Library
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:33:40 pm »

It is usually a better plan to keep one unified library, and use Views to further subcategorize and filter your media.  It is easy to make a view that does these things: only showing one type of media, or files meeting a certain criteria, based on tags.  It is also easy to make copies of existing Views, and alter them for different purposes (with different filters).  Ask if you need to learn more about how.  You can have lots of Views.  As many as you want, organized into any kind of scheme in the Tree on the left you can dream up, pretty much.

Libraries, on the other hand, are the entire Database for MC.  Only one Library can be loaded at a time, and switching it requires relaunching MC.

This is very troublesome if you intend to use MC's Media Network features at all, because you won't be able to "switch Libraries" from the client machines.  A copy of MC running as a "server" can only serve one Library at a time, and you have to have console access to the server (or be very clever) to switch active libraries remotely.

I use discreet Libraries on my Laptop to segregate a few things, but they aren't served, and the Laptop runs primarily in "client mode".  I have a Local Library there, that only contains content that lives physically on the laptop.  I don't keep it loaded up with much, though, so this Library isn't used heavily (basically only on trips where I might be "offline" with the laptop or want nice quality video away from my LAN).  I also have a "work stuff" Library that I use to manage assets and documents for work.

But my main media library is one big library, which then has views specially designed to subdivide things where needed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up