INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on MC "Playing To" Oppo BDP-105 via JRemote (with DLNA)  (Read 3531 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Question on MC "Playing To" Oppo BDP-105 via JRemote (with DLNA)
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:46:39 pm »

All,

Finally got my layout really rocking with MC 19, JRemote and now my new Oppo BDP-105. As I noted in several other threads - once I enabled the MC DLNA (Controller etc) functions - the Oppo showed up immediately as a destination that can be selected via JRemote.

My question now surrounding this - is MC "transcoding" my FLAC files as they pass to the Oppo via DLNA?

Within MC - under Media Network and the DLNA area - I do see a "generic" DLNA server there - which seems to pass audio as MP3?

Without having touched anything as of yet - is this "generic" DLNA server - actually in "play" and converting my FLACS to MP3 for play on the Oppo?

Appreciate any info

VP

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Question on MC "Playing To" Oppo BDP-105 via JRemote (with DLNA)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:31:04 pm »

There's a setting in JRemote you will need to change. Click on the cogwheel and you'll find it. It's the client that decides whether it will receive the original audio format, or a downgraded mp3 (which the serving library will supply). The setting you've changed wont affect your results as it's on the serving machine, and that setting only comes into play when the machine is a client - had me stumped too until I read it somewhere in here / wikis.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:48:32 pm »

There's a setting in JRemote you will need to change. Click on the cogwheel and you'll find it. It's the client that decides whether it will receive the original audio format, or a downgraded mp3 (which the serving library will supply). The setting you've changed wont affect your results as it's on the serving machine, and that setting only comes into play when the machine is a client - had me stumped too until I read it somewhere in here / wikis.

Thanks! I just checked it out and yes it's called Enable Transcoding - which is off on my iPad.

But - does this really control what actually gets sent to the Oppo? I keep getting the feeling that JRemote is simply acting as a "remote" and that its MC doing the heavy lifting and t is treating the Oppo as a "client" and perhaps sending over "transcoded" flacs to the Oppo vai DNLA?

VP

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:28:11 am »

But - does this really control what actually gets sent to the Oppo? I keep getting the feeling that JRemote is simply acting as a "remote" and that its MC doing the heavy lifting and t is treating the Oppo as a "client" and perhaps sending over "transcoded" flacs to the Oppo vai DNLA?

In MC (the main application) Settings there is a setting for the Server that allows you to choose if files will be transcoded when it serves them to DLNA renderers. The choices are i) serve the original file, ii) transcode (convert) if necessary, iii) always transcode (convert) it. And if you select the transcoding, there is an additional choice of whether to convert to MP3 or PCM (called L16).

I think the Oppo can play Flacs without the server needing to do any transcoding. (Try it). But if it cannot play the Flacs, then you should set MC to transcode to L16 (which is a lossless format) rather than to MP3 (which is a lossy format).

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:10:10 am »

In MC (the main application) Settings there is a setting for the Server that allows you to choose if files will be transcoded when it serves them to DLNA renderers. The choices are i) serve the original file, ii) transcode (convert) if necessary, iii) always transcode (convert) it. And if you select the transcoding, there is an additional choice of whether to convert to MP3 or PCM (called L16).

I think the Oppo can play Flacs without the server needing to do any transcoding. (Try it). But if it cannot play the Flacs, then you should set MC to transcode to L16 (which is a lossless format) rather than to MP3 (which is a lossy format).

Thanks...but I want to be sure that we are talking the same thing...here's where you are coming from...let's call it AUDIO 1

This is the Client Options area - but this is not under the DNLA area - I believe it's the audio options for MC to use ONLY when a PC (with MC installed) is acting as a "client" when using library server. I am very familiar with this since we have library server and 5 PCs.

However - if I click Add and Configure DNLA servers - a "GENERIC DNLA" entry is there wher Audio options already preset - and I believe the actual "audio to the OPPO" occurs here under the Audio area...let's call this AUDIO 2

Then if I click on the Format dropdown...

You can see the actual formats that get passed - and as shown in this screencap - my "Generic DNLA" server (which I did not configure to my knowledge) wants to send "High Bandwidth MP3" out to any devices using this "server".

So - is it the Audio 1 area that is "serving" the audio format to the OPPO or is it Audio 2?

Gotta tell ya - if it ends up being Audio 1 - I will be totally confused as that area is clearly labelled (and located) in such a way that any layman would have no clue that it plays a role in DNLA.

Update when you can.

Cheers!

VP

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:14 am »

^
You make the settings under "Configure DLNA Servers".

In your case (playing Flacs to the Oppo) you should first try "Don't convert" but if that does not work then use Always Convert to L16.

( note: you say you have six PCs running an instance of MC, so obviously you need to make the above settings on the instance of MC that is actually running the DLNA server... )
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up