INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using HDMI and USB at the same time, is it possible?  (Read 4997 times)

Cereal Killer

• Recent member
Using HDMI and USB at the same time, is it possible?
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:46:25 am »

Hi all,

Just wondering. Is it possible to play the video out via HDMI and audio via out via USB? ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Using HDMI and USB at the same time, is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:40:25 am »

Hi all,

Just wondering. Is it possible to play the video out via HDMI and audio via out via USB? ?

It's definitely possible if your hardware supports it.  I do it right now at home.  I can imagine some hardware configurations that might not "play nice" with that kind of setup, but if your TV/monitor will accept a direct HDMI input and your computer has an HDMI out (i.e. you're not using a receiver as an HDMI "translator"), it should work.

Cereal Killer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07:03 pm »

Excellent, So how's it done? I have system set up as:

Computer >USB< DAC/pre >XLRs< Active speakers.

The computer has HDMI out and is primarily used for FLAC. I'm wanting to experiment with movies out but keep the audio going through the DAC/active speakers.

I've got a HDMI wireless DLNA dongle type device plugged into the TV which is connected to the home WIFI, so has an IP address, or can be connected via wifi direct to any computer.

This is the device attached to the TV: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excelvan-1080P-Wireless-HDMI-Media-Share-DLNA-WiFi-TV-Stick-for-Apple-Airplay-/251323241271?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item3a84085337

Thank you :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:42:54 pm »

Excellent, So how's it done? I have system set up as:

Computer >USB< DAC/pre >XLRs< Active speakers.

The computer has HDMI out and is primarily used for FLAC. I'm wanting to experiment with movies out but keep the audio going through the DAC/active speakers.

I've got a HDMI wireless DLNA dongle type device plugged into the TV which is connected to the home WIFI, so has an IP address, or can be connected via wifi direct to any computer.

This is the device attached to the TV: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excelvan-1080P-Wireless-HDMI-Media-Share-DLNA-WiFi-TV-Stick-for-Apple-Airplay-/251323241271?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item3a84085337

Thank you :)

My setup is very similar to yours (computer> USB>DAC>Amps>bi-amped speakers), but I have my PC directly connected to the TV via HDMI cable.  If you can  manage a direct HDMI connection between the computer and the TV, what you want to do is super easy. Set your "monitor" to the TV, and your audio device( in JRiver) to your DAC and you'll have HDMI video and DAC audio.

The DLNA piece adds an extra wrinkle.  It looks like it's not really an HDMI connection, but rather a DLNA device that uses an HDMI port to connect. I've never used a wireless HDMI dongle before, but it seems like trying to split audio and video over DLNA might present some difficulties (i.e. I can imagine a/v sync would probably be challenging).  The way I'd try to do it would involve linking your audio zone to the DLNA playback zone, but I'm not sure that zone link currently works with video (it might, I just don't know that it does because I haven't tried it).  

Maybe someone with more experience with DLNA dongles could weigh in?  

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:20 pm »

All that is needed for you to do is go into the audio options and select whatever sound card you want. It's pretty simple. You can even have different sound cards for different zones.

Cereal Killer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:02:08 am »

Chees guys, I'll have a play with setting then, I'm hoping it'll be possible to use the DNLA dongle... The TV is wall mounted, all cables chased into the walls. I completely forgot to add HDMI when rewiring, so its surface mounted ATM. The dongle was bought to get rid of the cable. 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:07:23 am »

Chees guys, I'll have a play with setting then, I'm hoping it'll be possible to use the DNLA dongle... The TV is wall mounted, all cables chased into the walls. I completely forgot to add HDMI when rewiring, so its surface mounted ATM. The dongle was bought to get rid of the cable. 

The consensus in some other threads seems to be that DLNA will not work for this (see e.g. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85985.0). There is such a thing as an actual wireless HDMI connection (not DLNA-based), but the tech apparently isn't apparently particularly mature yet, see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85995.0

I can confirm that an actual direct HDMI connection (i.e. direct cable connection) works great with video and audio going to two different places.  I know that's not the answer you're looking for  :(   Let us know if you get it working, either way.

Cereal Killer

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:50:45 am »

OK, looks like it maybe the wrong device!

OR - would it be possible to send audio/video to both DLNA and USB outputs? This way I can simply mute the TV?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:52 am »

OK, looks like it maybe the wrong device!

OR - would it be possible to send audio/video to both DLNA and USB outputs? This way I can simply mute the TV?

That's what I was talking about above when I suggested making two zones and linking them (I've just never tried zone linking with DLNA and video, so don't know that it works).  Try making a second zone, and configuring one zone to output to the TV via DLNA and the other to output via USB to your DAC.  If it works, you'll almost certainly have some a/v sync issues, but if it's a fixed latency, you can just adjust the sync and get it to work.  If it's not a fixed latency, then you'll have a harder row to hoe...
Pages: [1]   Go Up