INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good News - No More Crashes!  (Read 1356 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Good News - No More Crashes!
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:46 am »

For a long time MC on our HTPC would periodically crash. Probably averaged 2-3/week. Sometimes I would send logs in so JR could try to find the problem. They were always very responsive in trying to help. Often times I wouldn't bother. There didn't seem to be any pattern or consistency to the crashes.

Our HTPC is a 3 year old quad core with win7/32. We use it in our HT room for playback of audio and video and also use it to serve to 3 clients.

About a month ago it developed some serious OS problems, totally unrelated to MC. I finally did a total new OS install including installing a new C drive.

Since the new Win7 install I don't think we have had one crash! I don't have any idea why MC is so much more stable, but I know that a lot of stuff is no longer on the system: Old versions of MC, SageTV, other Media programs. Some of this stuff I deleted, but suspect that there were remnants of the installs still on the machine.

I do hope that I'm not reporting this too soon - don't want to jinx my good luck. But it does make a lot of sense to me that an occasional clean OS install can only be a good thing.

Cheers,
Rod

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Good News - No More Crashes!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »

I've had pretty much the same experience. Around about MC 15/16 it was so frustrating. Constant crashes or unresponsiveness. I reformated for unrelated reasons, and MC was incredibly stable. It has been since then, except some memory problems during MC 18, which the upgrade to MC19 fixed. I'm beginning to have some issues again, but I think it's just attrition as I continue to install more and more stuff on the computer.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:32:37 pm »

We all have TOO MUCH STUFF! Reminds me of that old George Carlin skit about 'Stuff'. It's great if you can find it.

Anyway interesting to hear that someone else has been having similar issues. Maybe an annual OS reinstall would be a good thing to do. Perhaps just before installing a new Major Version; 18 to 19, etc.

Cheers,
Rod

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:11:44 pm »

We all have TOO MUCH STUFF! Reminds me of that old George Carlin skit about 'Stuff'. It's great if you can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_QkGPCL18
Pages: [1]   Go Up