INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is DRC on a budget worth it for a mid tier system.  (Read 2342 times)

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
Is DRC on a budget worth it for a mid tier system.
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:18:42 pm »

I have what I consider to be a mid range 2.1 channel setup that consists of a pair of Quadral Quintus 215s floor standers running off a Rotel RB-990BX power amp and a Wharfedale SW150 10" active sub.
For a source I have an ODAC external usb dac bridged via asio4all with my internal Asus Xonar DX card as the output quality of the usb DAC is audibly better than the Asus card.
So as far as room correction goes when I say "on a budget" I'm thinking <$200 for a usb microphone and say one of the free DRC programs listed here http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/AudioTools/RoomCorrection.htm

Is there much of a benefit in going the cheap route with DRC or am I better off waiting until I have a higher tier system and the $$ so that I can afford to do this properly with a decent microphone and a software package such as Acourate?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is DRC on a budget worth it for a mid tier system.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:16:39 am »

Why not try the room correction that you get out of the box with MC?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Is DRC on a budget worth it for a mid tier system.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:59:05 am »

I have what I consider to be a mid range 2.1 channel setup that consists of a pair of Quadral Quintus 215s floor standers running off a Rotel RB-990BX power amp and a Wharfedale SW150 10" active sub.
For a source I have an ODAC external usb dac bridged via asio4all with my internal Asus Xonar DX card as the output quality of the usb DAC is audibly better than the Asus card.
So as far as room correction goes when I say "on a budget" I'm thinking <$200 for a usb microphone and say one of the free DRC programs listed here http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/AudioTools/RoomCorrection.htm

Is there much of a benefit in going the cheap route with DRC or am I better off waiting until I have a higher tier system and the $$ so that I can afford to do this properly with a decent microphone and a software package such as Acourate?

I think you can get very good system tuning results with a calibrated mic and free software if you're patient.  I personally use a combination of Holm Impulse, Room EQ Wizard (REW), and RePhase.  All three are free tools with different functionality, and in combination you can get very good results.

You'll need a calibrated mic anyway for any of the more expensive DRC solutions you're thinking about, so that wouldn't be wasted money.  You can get one for less than a hundred dollars if you look (PE offers one for $60, I think).  Having one around can really reveal a lot of system problems that can't be discovered "by ear," so a mic is a good investment in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up