INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: Need a Dual Port NIC with Teaming (Win 8.1 Support)  (Read 7574 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Suggestion: Need a Dual Port NIC with Teaming (Win 8.1 Support)
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:50:40 am »

I have a Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter but it has not being playing nice with Win 8.1 (memory leak), but I liked having the dual port NIC that supported teaming (so the network sees just one IP address - having two causes some DLNA renderers like the WD TV Live to freak out).  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Suggestion: Need a Dual Port NIC with Teaming (Win 8.1 Support)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:37:28 am »

I actually saw some reports on the Intel ProSet NIC driver too yesterday, and intended to come let you know, but I was tired and forgot.

I wouldn't replace it.  They'll fix the driver.  There really aren't any good alternatives.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:11 am »

I should say... I wouldn't replace it yet.

I think even though they are EOL, they're likely to fix this issue with the "In Box Support" (whatever the heck that means, the page you linked is vague).  If not, this seems to be the low-end replacement version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106126

Two benefits of the new one over the older PT ones:

* VT-c network virtualization support (improves performance in VMs, sometimes substantially)
* Improved (on chip) ethernet power management
* PCIe 2.0 native (double the available throughput, though I don't know if it was bus capped before even with two 1gbps ports).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:05 pm »

I think even though they are EOL, they're likely to fix this issue with the "In Box Support" (whatever the heck that means, the page you linked is vague).

Vague it is - I'm not sure it is even supported as if you go the to Driver Download page no Win8 driver appears for the card - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Network+Connectivity&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+PRO%2f1000+PT+Desktop+Adapter

It could be a good excuse to have a look at some stores in NYC like B&H photo instead of being dragged around shoe and handbag shops by my Wife!

JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

If you have the chance to go to the B&H mothership, DO IT!!!

It is so awesome.  The conveyer belt system they use to bring the products up to the checkout "registers" are unbelievably awesome.  It feels like something out of another age.  Almost steampunk.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »

I know - the family have all the usual tourist stuff on their list of must sees but I've got them excited about B&H and the conveyor systems!

PS - the statement on the drivers on Intel's site is:
Driver not Certified

Intel is providing these drivers as a convenience to customers who want to use older devices with Windows 8* or Windows Server 2012*. Although these drivers are certified for Windows 7* and Windows Server 2008 R2*, they are not certified for Windows 8 and or Windows Server 2012. These drivers have not had the exhaustive level of testing usually done by Intel.
Intel has tested basic installation and functionality in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 including advanced features such as teaming and configuring VLANs. Intel does not plan to certify drivers for these devices for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Intel recommends that users who plan to use Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 use newer devices with certified drivers.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:34 pm »

The old controller (from the PT and others like it) is pretty old... It is a 90nm chip, after all (that's Pentium 4 Prescott era fabs).

I'm sure they're just shutting those fabs down, but I'd still like it if they'd support them longer, considering the PT card is still for sale on Newegg right now, and they do NOT have it listed on their support site as EOL (the single-port PT is listed as EOL, but not the dual port version)...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »

A local mob has Dell branded Intel I350-T2 for only A$115 inc shipping (US$100 approx), so I think I'll just pull the trigger on this.  

FYI - I also had problems during my WHS 11 install getting it to accept the driver package WHS 11 box (believe it or not WHS tries to restrict you to "Desktop" lines even though it is a "Server"... in the end had to modify the install config to get it to install but it has been all fine since)

EDIT: I just bought it.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:58:19 am »

So I've got it and installed it (but without a bracket as it only shipped with a low-profile one so I'll have to knock up something tommorow).  So far so good.

I did find that, I can not create a Virtual Switch in Hyper-V  :'( as it does not support Teamed NICS with Receive Load Balancing apparently....

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 04:12:21 pm »

And another thing.  When doing the "Test Switch" from within the Intel Team Adapter, it recommends turning off "Spanning Tree Protocol" for the "switch ports that are connected to Teamed Adapter" to "improve slow connection times".  From what I can see I can turn this off on my Router but it is an all or nothing thing.  I can not turn this off on my switch as it is unmanaged.  Given I have several switches (and wireless AP) I'm not sure this is a good thing.  Any advice as it seems to work fine as it is.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »

You almost certainly don't need Spanning Tree Protocol enabled on your network.

This system is designed to prevent broadcast storms caused by bridge loops when individual network devices have multiple physical paths (Layer 2) on the same Ethernet network (devices with two or more NICs, non-teamed, with the same IP address).  This is useful for redundancy in a situation where high-availability is required, but almost certainly doesn't apply at all for your home network.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 02:01:22 pm »

I think there were some recently discovered security issues with STP anyway, though I'm too busy to look it up.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 03:05:14 pm »

Thanks - Also B&H was a great visit - though I did not have time to buy anything!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up