INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: test II  (Read 17834 times)

sekim

RE:test II
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2002, 05:04:36 am »

I always thought # 2 was a Jackson 5 song. Of course I was only in first grade then.
I can see why some may have had a five year blank spot in their lives.

zevele1

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2002, 06:31:13 am »

was a black hole.Of cause with still some good things-but not that much-New york Dolls,Elliot Murphy.But only some records in a midle of a great blank.To turn to prog was a solution.And prog in the beginning was good and very interesting music,and some prog records are landmark in rock.But ,after a while,prog was the worst kind of music[i mean late yes elp].No more R$R in fact,fm rock,mongoloide prog, and Abba.
Salvation comming with the english punk and the New York wave.Again an other circle, punk,new wave.After a certain time ,disco,a kind of "new wave/midlle of the road " .Grunge,hardcore,us punk,new wave of heavy metal comming to put train on the rails
TODAY?

sekim

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2002, 07:24:52 am »

http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1264215596/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=SAVOY|PLS|BROWN/itemid=455164
Personnal favorite from that era. Try Track 3. Also see Lookin'In.
I don't think these guys ever got the recognition they deserved. At least in early years. But it goes to show there was some really great stuff out if you could find it.

zevele1

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2002, 07:41:40 am »

Savoy Brown! They are older than me...They started as a british blues band[Jhon Mayall-Fleewood Mac-Chicken Shack].I have some records from them.They had a hard-rock period,but seems that they are in Blues again

zevele1

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2002, 07:47:41 am »

Savoy Brown! They are older than me...They started as a british blues band[Jhon Mayall-Fleewood Mac-Chicken Shack].I have some records from them.They had a hard-rock period,but seems that they are in Blues again

sekim

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2002, 07:50:51 am »

Maybe so zev, But it sure beats 'One Bad Apple'.Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2002, 08:02:22 am »

a problem,here!I mean i have records from them.I found some second hand lps from them latter and it was hard rock .Using your link,i see they are in blues again.It is funny that,not of the same age,both have records from an old band.Even if the record  you speak about is more recent
I DO NOT MEAN,bof,such old s####,and so on

sekim

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2002, 08:15:32 am »

I should have been more clear zevele. Only meant to agree that they may be older. Sorry for confusion. Have to agree about being into the blues-rock style again. Here is another link where I found out some info on them.

http://www.savoybrown.com

zevele1

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2002, 08:34:07 am »

They are still doing very well ,as i just saw on they site!

Listening to Taj Mahal first album

sekim

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2002, 08:50:09 am »

Zevele... Jumping in another direction here. Does this one qualify as progressive.

http://www.tbolin.com/
I would have to say that 'post toastee' is my favorite.

Forgot to ask if it was Taj Mahal-self titled or Taj Mahal-Natch'l Blues.

JollyJim

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2002, 09:18:55 am »

What's this thread all about???

Can someone translate it into English for me please

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2002, 09:24:30 am »

JollyJim

Translated:

Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2002, 09:59:28 am »

MachineHead
I am listening to it now.nothing to do with prog
Prog is Genesis-Yes-King Crimson-ELP[emerson,lake and palmer]Caravan,Pink Floyd
If you can ,have a try.You may not like it,but there is few good things
If you know metal band like Sodome who have long songs with keybroads .Songs with 2 notes in 20 minutes,i will say you know what i call"mongoloide -prog"

Taj Mahal,the first one.But i have all ,or almost.I am a Taj Mahal-head
Do you know Roy Buckenan[?]

ps:there is some Taj Mahal records not good at all,anyway,i have them cause is Taj

Michael Horton

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2002, 01:07:28 pm »

JollyJim

many of the recent threads involved problems that were too technical in nature, and therefore way above some of our heads, so some of us resorted to discussing actual music for awhile, until the other threads get easier again. But Doof got the first "test" thread closed, so we started "test II." JimH must be sympathising a little, because he's left us pretty much alone.  Care to discuss your musical tastes? your musical journey?

Michael

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2002, 01:13:44 pm »

King Sparta,

So Your A Born Again Christian?

Who knows? I don't remember. It doesn't sound like it describes me, though.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

sekim

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2002, 01:20:45 pm »

MHorton-

Have you made any progress on a list of your 10 favorites?

Sidenote-the lyrics site you pointed to had a persistent pop-up. Little bugger just didn't like to be closed.Next Page

Michael Horton

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2002, 02:02:34 pm »

I made a list with commentary--now i'm trying to whittle (whiddle?) it down to less that 5000 words Next Page

sekim

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2002, 02:31:52 pm »

I started with a list but keep changing it. Probably would have been easier to name 10 favorite songs.Next Page

Also, at the risk of reverting back to the being in my second post on this subject. What is 'OOP' ? Still a gnu-bee at this game.Next Page

Michael Horton

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2002, 03:01:26 pm »

oop--out of print, or in GB I believe the term is "deleted"

sekim

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2002, 03:18:38 pm »

Thanks. Look at this site. I just did a search on google for a record shop in Hawaii I had visited before. Lots of places to check out now.Next Page
http://nfo.net/.LNX/lrecords.html

Scronch

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2002, 01:56:45 pm »

>One Bad Apple
>Maggie May (gets my vote for the most annoying song ever)
>Knock Three Times
>Rose Garden
>Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves

Looks like a list of worst songs ever.  I will add that 1969 Mac Davis classic, recorded by Elvis...

In the Ghetto.

ughh.

Scronch

JollyJim

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2002, 03:33:46 pm »

KingS
Thanks for the translation

MHorton
Thanks for the explanation
I would like to discuss my musical taste, but it's something I find very difficult. The problem I have is that you guys may not want to communicate with me any more. It's all to do with the problems I've had in my head over a period of years. No it is'nt. Oh yes it darn well is. Sorry, that's what happens when I try to open up. My psychiatrist keeps telling me that talking about my problem will give me ownership, empowerment and then absolution if only I will discuss it. No it wont. It will, it will - oh my god, there I go again. That was'nt you, it was me. Get back, get away from me. Sorry, to continue. This can't continue, I can't carry on this way. I'm just gonna have to come clean. This is like group therapy, but on your own. I can do it - I can make that final admittance and cleanse myself. No you can't. I can, I can - I'm gonna do it now. 'I like John Denver and I like Cliff Richard !!!!'

I've done it, I've finally done it. But, wait, hold fast, (pause), I don't feel any different. Yes I do. No I don't. Oh my god, please don't tell me that everyone now knows my deep guilty secret and I have'nt received any absolution. Oh no! Oh, woe is me !!

(exits stage left to a silent audience)

Jim (now bouncing off soft padded walls)

JollyJim

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2002, 03:52:37 pm »

worst songs -

Tie a yellow ribbon
Hey Paula (I think that's what it's called, by Paul and Paula. Obviously, a lot of thought went into this one)
Shaddupa ya face (you may not have got this in the US - think yourself very lucky)
Y Viva Espana (ditto)
White Christmas (Bing Crosby)
anything else by Bing Crosby
anything heavily featuring electronic drum machines
anything by Tiny Tim (deceased)
anything by Boy George (hopefully, soon to be deceased)

and, especially, some tracks that prob never get heard outside the UK. They're by various football teams who put out a record, or more like a chant, extolling the virtues of their team. These are unbelievably mundane, banal and totally embarrassing to listen to. For those outside the UK who've never heard one of these, you have my envy. They are, in part, responsible for my previous post.

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2002, 03:55:25 pm »

"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" I liked Boy George
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2002, 05:14:39 pm »

JollyJim-

Ummm- what do they put in the water over there?Next Page

Scronch

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2002, 06:56:25 pm »

>> Ummm- what do they put in the water over there?

I don't know about over there, but I can tell you what they put in the
water over here--John Denver.

>> 'I like John Denver'

(with foot stomping...)
"and now I'm an ocean buoy"

I know, that's a little rough.  But I'm still pissed about the black eye
he gave to general aviation.  "...inadvertent application of right rudder
that resulted in the loss of airplane control while attempting to
manipulate the fuel selector handle".  Unbelievable.
http://www.avweb.com/other/ntsb9905.html

Tastelessly yours,
Scronch

JollyJim

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2002, 08:46:42 pm »

Hi Scronch

>> "...inadvertent application of right rudder
>> that resulted in the loss of airplane control while attempting to
>> manipulate the fuel selector handle". Unbelievable

ok, so he could'nt fly a plane to save his life. But that shoud'nt degrade the meaningful and beautifully thought out lyrics of songs such as 'Grandma's Feather Bed' and other works of pure majesty. C'mon Scronch, have a heart !!!

Jim

Michael Horton

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2002, 08:49:16 pm »

I went away for awhile and come back only to find that you've redocorated. Lovely.

I've been holding off on that top ten to avoid what you've all done to poor JollyJim. I'm much more fragile than he, but, well, tomorrow it'll be your turn to tear me a new one . . .

Scronch

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2002, 12:22:57 am »

>ok, so he could'nt fly a plane to save his life.

No, he was an experienced pilot:

On his most recent medical application of record, dated June 13, 1996, he
reported a total flight time of 2,750 hours. He held a private pilot certificate,
with airplane ratings for single and multiengine land, single-engine sea and gliders.
He also held an instrument airplane rating and a Lear Jet type rating.

He lost control while reaching over his shoulder to operate a non-standard fuel selector.  OK, reaching over your shoulder is a little odd, but to lose control?

I will admit (oh, no) that I do like some of his music.  But not that country boy thing.  His fans and most GA pilots would be a lot happier if he had just been more careful that day.

Now his acting, well, I don't want to totally denigrate the dead, so I'll just say nothing at all.

Scronch

JollyJim

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2002, 12:57:13 am »

Scronch

I understand that Laurence Olivier was impressed !!!!

Jim

Scronch

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2002, 01:04:32 am »

No, methinks Sir Laurence was depressed.

JollyJim

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2002, 01:10:48 am »

Scronch

ok - you win.

In fact, I've just agreed with you in JimH's latest post. People will start talking about us.......

Jim

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2002, 02:07:28 am »

zevele

Just gotta love Roy Buchanan....enough treble on that Fender Tele to take the top of your head off at 20 yards.........what a great guitarist.....extremely fast..one of my boyhood heroes (to try to emulate)

zevele1

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2002, 05:58:51 am »

RtS[can i call you this way?] ]
I will say there is a lack of focus on some of the first albums.Maybe to much technique at the cost of warm on some of the last albums.But A GREAT guitarist,let say a very great
I am on his live records.Some"clap-clap-clap" on the left,or rigth speaker.I was in New-York,in an hotel just in front of the concert hall,so........
Do you know of bootlegs?The only one i know is a concert in Amsterdam and of very very low quality

Listening to Mohammad Reza Shadjarian -Bidad/Homayun-Iran
Something to do with another post

zevele1

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2002, 06:42:56 am »

HERE WE GO!!!  there is not number 1,number 2,just a list
my 10[well 11 ]best albums

velvet underground  whitelight/white heat
husker due          zone arcade
byrds               fith dimension
miles davies        pangrea-live
can                 monster movie
big brother         cheap trills
airplane            after bathing at baxter's
NUGGETS             A CLASSIC COLLECTION FROM THE PSYCHEDELIC SIXTIES
13 th elevators     the psychedelic sound of
stones              beggars banquet
Jimi hendrix EXPERIENCE  live Monterey

can=keep in mind 1969
big brother in spite of janis joplin
stone beggar banquet:the only real rock guitar solo of the galaxie on Sympathy for the devil
jimi hendrix EXPERIENCE.Whithout the 2 other ones,no hendrix.Listen how the drums are allways pushing him far and far,how they take him home when needed,how the bass allows the 2 others to far out.Hendrix was the guitarist of a band,downhill after

sekim

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2002, 07:17:40 am »

Please don't banish me to the wastelands of guilt for this. In no particular order.
Black Sabbath-Paranoid. First time I heard this I had to pinch myself. Kinda scary.
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon. I know it has been played to death, but one of my favs.
Jeff Beck-There and Back. Maybe one of his most underrated, listened to it alot after parents split. No vocals to get in the way.
Grand Funk Railroad-Mark,Don & Mel. Hey I was young when the neighbors turned this one loose.
Husker Du-New Day Rising. Zevele I was completly surprised to see them on your list also. I made this discovery during my 'Blank' years. 59 times the pain was what my head used to feel like on most mornings.
Nirvanna-Nevermind. Thankfully these guys were credited for killing most hair band music.
Guns N Roses-Appetite For Destruction. I said most hair bands.
Sound Garden-Superunknown. I had a tough time with these guys, Badmotorfinger was also in mind.
Deep Purple-Machine Head. What can I say? One of my first album purchases was Made in Japan. I didn't get M.H. until recently. Boy did I ever miss out. Lazy is probably my all-time favorite.
Stevie Ray Vaughn-Anything he made. I was truly saddened when I heard he had died. I even remember where I was at that moment.
Savoy Brown-Lookin In. Another late in life discovery. Kim Simmonds masterful touch on anything with six strings is amazing.
There you have it. My favorites. I can't count either.Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2002, 07:26:00 am »

IF you have to ban anyone with a list,where a good half of it is on your shelves...so,i ban you!!!
Can you tell me about the sleeve of the Jeff Beck album?
lazy?a song? an album? a band?

sekim

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2002, 07:40:59 am »

Zevele-

Here is a link for you to check out the sleeve.
http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=405698495/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=BECK*JEFF/itemid=2502

Lazy was on the Machine Head album.

MHorton

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2002, 08:31:56 am »

I hope the list-making continues

What I expected to find is that there will be artists on each list that we like, don't like and are indifferent to/unfamiliar with

What I didn't expect to find was people including albums from different periods of their musical life, eg:

theoretical top10, in no particular order:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Disney - Soundtrack to Snow White
Partridge Family - first album
Burl Ives - Chim Chim Cheree & Other Children's Choices
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex...
CSN&Y - Deja Vu
Tito Puente: Best of Tito Puente: El Rey del Timbal!
Jimmy Witherspoon: Blowin' in from Kansas City
Genesis - Foxtrot
Pavlov's Dog - The At The Sound of the Bell
Mott the Hoople - Mott

still working on mine, and still looking forward to other's lists (feel free to add commentary, as machinehead did--keeps it interesting, to me anyway)

zevele1

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2002, 08:38:44 am »

Not to mad about this Beck album.You may try Truth and Beck-ola,from years before
I was no sure about Nirvana until unpluged.I saw they are a  great rock and roll band.They live album is a rock and roll manifeste
I do like Grand Funk,at least in the beginning.I saw them in Paris,they been so loud that all the people moved in the hall,outside !Black Sabbath 1 to 4 are records i still play
Stevie Ray was great
Now,i stop to be nice to you,i have only the first 2 Pink Floyd,and G&R is it slang for idiotic?

zevele1

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2002, 08:44:13 am »

MHorton
First,Hello!
I do not get your point.If you give your 10 albums you like the much,it as to be througt all the years of your listening

mphorton

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2002, 09:01:10 am »

sorry--an old alias slipped in there somehow. I've used that one, Leonides, Kitfox and countless others. Trying to gather all into one distinct personality is proving more difficult than I expected. The doctors say I'm making progress. "What's the point of being crazy if you can't have a little fun with it." John Nash, A Beautiful Mind (quote not exact)

Zevele1

correct. But, it's hard for me. My top10 albums right now are different that those that I would have chosen a year ago, and different from what I would lilely choose a year from now. From 1982-1985, I only listened to Celtic folk music. I really, really like that stuff, but I just don't listen to it any more. Did I like "Wolfe Tones - Let the People Sing" when I was 25 more or less than I liked "Burl Ives - Chim Chim Cheree & Other Children's Choices" when I was five? Did I like "Genesis - Selling Egland By The Pound" when I was 16 more or less than I liked "Handel - The Music for the Royal Fireworks" when I was 20? I afraid that if I list my 10 favorite albums of all time, that it will simply be a reflection of who I am musically at this given moment. And that wouldn't be fair to the previous musical lives of MHorton. (In other words, I'm having trouble making up my mind.)

sekim

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2002, 09:16:53 am »

If I had to make up this list ten years from now it may change. But that is ten years from now. At this particular time, however, it is what I consider to be my favorites. I'm constantly looking for something new, even if it is old. I have a friend who has shown me a lot of real treasures in the last few years. And most of it I have not heard before. I might also add that his collection is mainly vinyl, and to preserve what he has he is burning most of it to disc.
I don't think it matters if you want to change your mind later. Show us what you like now. Looking forward to what everyone is willing to give us.Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2002, 10:01:13 am »

If i am not wrong,it was Leonidas.
In 10 years time, most of my list will be the same.At least a part of it.I do not see what and who can put velvelt,can,davies,husker due  out of it.Maybe because i have a hudge collection and i have few groups,kinds of music to discover.Of cause there is some records i played to death,and today i do not understand why.Of cause i still have to listen to some bands.Genesis for example.Of cause there is records i like and that are overwhelming s###But what i really did not like 20 years ago,i still do not like it
My luck is that i still get shiverings when listening to music,even if more and more i think about what i have to do next day during concerts
listening to LLoyd cole and the commotions -easy pieces

sekim

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2002, 01:20:01 pm »

Oooops. My silly previous post was directed towards barbarossa. Didn't catch part of that post the first time. How many faces do you wear? Next Page
I like your post from the 'other topic'.

Listening to Helmut-Betty. To much mental stuff over there. Need to bang head and clear for awhile.

zevele1

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2002, 02:16:22 pm »

MachineHead
The most outstanding music i heard since last summer is metal
Nile,Nil[?] and nine..inch

zevele1

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2002, 06:15:11 am »

adon Scronch

I saw Genesis as some nice boys playing in a nice band,making nice music.And this on my open-minded days only
Do i have to tell you that after Foxtrot on my stereo at fair volume,i now have an other view?
Ok,it will never be in my top 10 or 20,but there is few songs very very strong
thank you for the BIG surprise i had

listening to Corpus Christii-holy mastubation  metal from Portugal

zevele1

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2002, 06:15:55 am »

l

zevele1

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2002, 06:16:52 am »

sorry

Michael Horton

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2002, 11:05:45 am »

When I was a child (say 14 years old to as far back as I can remember), I liked folk, country and martial music. I had albums by Trini Lopez, the Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul & Mary (hated that Puff song, though--still do), Burl Ives, Pete Seeger, The New Christy Minstrels, The Brothers Four, Etc. I also liked to listen to albums that belonged to my dad or my uncle-in-law (when we visited), such as Johnny Horton, Johnny Cash (late 50s-early 60s material), Hank Williams Sr., Roger Miller, Claude King, Pee Wee King, and Marty Robbins. I really loved historical ballads. I also, for some silly reason, really loved martial music--you know, military marches. I was very hawkish as a child.

A friend gave me The Beatles - Meet the Beatles for my birthday in '64 (or so) but I just wasn't in to pop/rock at that time at all. Can't say why, though. Perhaps it was because they were singing about love and girls rather than battle and glory? I really don't remember.

In, or around 1973, I ran across Genesis - Live somehow, and it brought about the first change in my musical direction since I was born. I immediately become hooked on prog-rock--Camel, Caravan, Druid, Renaissance, M. Frog Labatt, Gong etc. But mostly Genesis. But I also became a big glam rock fan at that time too--David Bowie, Mott The Hoople, Roxy Music, the New York Dolls, Be Bop Deluxe, T. Rex. My mom and my aunt (married to my uncle-in-law that had all the good country albums from earlier), along with nearly all of my friends, and everyone at my high school, were fans for the Top40 music of the day. Chicago, the Eagles, The Average White Band, the BeeGees, J. Geils Band,  Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac. Yes, my mother listened to the same crap that my high school acquaintances listened to. Pretty sorry sate of affairs for rock the early to mid 70s. I liked the fact that no one I knew listened to, or had even heard of most of "my kind of music." To me, being a rebel had always meant rebelling from your peers--everyone rebels from their parent's generation (doing what your peers do in music, dress, slang--that's not being rebellious, its being a lemming).

Prog rock and glam rock lasted, for me, until I heard Television for the first time around the very end of 1978. Their debut album, Marquee Moon, came out in 1977, but since I hadn't listened to the radio since 1964 or so, I had to read about new stuff in rock magazines or run across stuff by accident. [I still don't listen to music on the radio. I listened to KROQ (an alternative rock station) during the early 1980s when I still lived in Los Angeles, and I listened to the Thistle & Shamrock program on NPR for awhile during that same time, but since 1993 (Nirvana-grunge takeover) now only listen to NPR news if a radio is turned on).

My college sweetheart during the late 70s pretty much just listened to church choir music, along with Mozart, Handel, Telemann, Vivaldi, etc, so I just listened to that for awhile. I'd say, that all in all, that classical is my favorite music, and it's what I typically listen to when alone. But, classical music puts my wife to sleep like right now, bless her heart. My wife and I agree one type of music, discussed later.

So, for a couple of years though I was a punk (1979-80), listening to the Damned, the Clash, The Jam, the Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, Generation X and later I added the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, the Vibrators and the Zippers. This phase lasted less than 2 years, but my head still hurts thinking about it. I was working with my dad in construction (as sprinkler-fitters), and my dad had two partners--one was from England, the other from Ireland. My dad's ancestry was Native American, Welsh and English  [I'm adopted--my natural parents were born in Germany. I'm a tall thin blonde. My adopted parents were short, squat, dark-haired, with very high cheek bones--they looked Native American. My adopted mom was as close to being full-blooded Cherokee as one could be these days. I made for some funny "mail man" jokes.]. So, anyway, we'd go to either an Irish or English pub after work for beer, and they argued, and argued . . . . and argued (but none would ever fail to "stand their round."). So, for several years I listened to Genesis, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, the Albion Band, Ralph McTell alongside of the Wolfe Tones, Christy Moore, The Clancy Bros & Tommy Makem, the Pogues, the Oysterband, the Chieftons, as well as a couple of local Southern California Celtic bands, the Mulligans and Innisfree. From prog rock to grog rock.

The next, and last change in music direction came in 1989, when I met my [second]wife [had been divorced already for 6|PLS| years, so no bad ideas you guys]. She was (and still is) an alt/indie rock fan (she's 11 years younger than I, and feels like Doof about this music thread-- "I've never heard of any of these groups. I didn't know that you liked glam rock. What's prog rock? You listened to Johnny Cash? Trini Lopez!?!"

So, since 1989 I'm a big alt-rock fanatic--the Smiths, The Church, the Grapes of Wrath, et.al. But my wife and I still have different tastes. She likes new wave dance music like Depeche Mode and New Order, and I don't. I like paisley underground bands like Rain Parade, Dream Syndicate and Game Theory, and she doesn't. We both agree on jangle/power pop, such as R.E.M., Let's Active, the dB's, Guadalcanal Diary, and The Connells, and on indie pop, twee pop, chamber pop and on shoegazing. Her favorite band is, perhaps The Stone Roses. We find that there is a lot that we can both listen to and enjoy. She loathes anything with even the tiniest twinge of country, though.

Lastly, I have to add that since 1989, I've reevaluated my position on the Beatles, and find their early work immensely enjoyable. Much to the great pleasure of my wife and I, we've rediscovered the Searchers, the Turtles, the Dave Clark Five and most importantly, the Byrds, and listen to the music of 1963-1967 quite a bit now. The music in my computer (and therefore on Music01) is alternative and oldies.  

Favorites (no order):

Trash Can Sinatras - Cake
Byrds - Younger than Yesterday
Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!
The Church - Starfish
The Bible - Eureka
The Chills - Submarine Bells
The Church - The Blurred Crusade
The Connells - Boylan Heights
Placebo - Black market Music
Railway Children - Native Place