INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to restore albums in my library after a reinstall?  (Read 1249 times)

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
How to restore albums in my library after a reinstall?
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:45:33 am »

I did a complete reinstall on my laptop yesterday. Before wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows, I copied the data directory (JRiver) of JRMC19 (C:/Users/Username/Appdata/Roaming) onto a USB pen drive. When I had completed the reinstall, I copied the data directory back into the new install. This has largely worked although for some reason, some albums are missing from my library. Finding them on the hard drive and dragging them back into MC solves the problem but I don't want to go through my entire digital collection to check for which albums are missing and need to be put back into the library.

Is there a way that I can use the import function in MC to scan my hard drives and replace any albums that were lost in the data backup/reinstall process? I don't want to have duplicate copies of the albums in my library. All files are fully tagged with cover artwork attached.

Thanks for any help that can be offered

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to restorealbums in my library after a reinstall?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:13:45 am »

Just scan them with Auto-Import.

MC won't re-import already imported files.

Next time, don't do it this way (and, if possible, you should "go back" before you go futher).  MC has a built-in Library Backup system.  This backs the entire library, and all of MC's User Settings, in a zip file.  Then, you can restore using this zip file on the fresh copy of MC and it puts you back exactly where you were, and prevents any issues.  There are a few ways to access this, but you can go File > Library and the options are in there.

MC makes Library backups automatically by default, and these are stored in your regular user's Documents folder in the JRiver folder by default.  Look in there, and you'll probably see a bunch of backups.  You'd be better off restoring one of these backups if you have a recent one.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:16:49 am »

Thanks glynor. Very helpful information

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:25:39 am »

Next time, don't do it this way (and, if possible, you should "go back" before you go futher).  MC has a built-in Library Backup system.  This backs the entire library, and all of MC's User Settings, in a zip file.  Then, you can restore using this zip file on the fresh copy of MC and it puts you back exactly where you were, and prevents any issues.
Be warned though - this does not back up cover art which is stored in %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art for files that do not support embedded artwork. (e.g. SACD ISO/DFF tracks)

Copying %APPDATA%\J River\ proved to be the least problematic way of restoring the library the last time I had to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up