INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get artist image from YADB?  (Read 1301 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Get artist image from YADB?
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:20:23 am »

The "get artist images from last.fm" option is the ultimate in convenience, but boy, what a mess...

The quality of the retrieved images is mostly awful, many of them less than 200 x 200 pixels, and the dimensions of the retrieved images are all over the place making the artist views quite painful to use.

A work in progress here is to get the best quality artist images I can find, tart them up if required and give the a 1000 x 1000 crop.

I am patient. I just do ten or so here and there when the fancy takes me. One day, the job might be finished!!

The difference is, well, let's say, worth it.

The YADB approach would be a cracking addition to MC's arsenal....

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Get artist image from YADB?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:04:07 pm »

Now that was a good idea.

The square images in your screen shot look very nice, much better than the last.fm versions of the images (even your cropped version of the sole image of Blind Lemon Jefferson, or, I gather, Robert Johnson).

georgem29

• Recent member
Re: Get artist image from YADB?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:01:46 am »

It's somehow comforting to know I'm not the only one who's done this. I also didn't like the different aspect ratios of the downloaded images, so I tried one screen's worth of square images and was committed. I did it over the space of 2 or 3 months, quitting each time it stopped being fun and it really wasn't that bad. I enjoy them every time I use my library, so I consider it time well spent.

I also incorporated them into my track info display, though that needs some work still.

The only issue I would have with sharing mine is that none of them are my images. It seems OK using them for my personal use, but I assume there would be copyright issues with uploading them to a commercial service.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:32 am »

This most definitely has my vote, perhaps Hendrik could add this at the same time if/when he finds time to address the Season Level Cover Art  ;D

mhwlng

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02:42 am »

fanart.tv has music artist thumbnails which are 1000x1000 square.

http://fanart.tv/artist/75167b8b-44e4-407b-9d35-effe87b223cf/young-neil/

(there are not as many as on last.fm, though)

they also have an API

http://fanart.tv/api-docs/music-api/

(the 1920x1080 artist backgrounds are also very useful)

also htbackdrops.org has 1:1 thumbnails and an API :

http://htbackdrops.org/v2/thumbnails.php?album=5&page=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up