INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to update video file location  (Read 1495 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
How to update video file location
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:26:44 am »

I accidentally imported a bunch of movies from a mapped folder instead of the unc name which I prefer.  Is there a way to change the location without removing the files from the library and reimporting?

For ex I have as the current filename in MC as S:\movies\oblivion...
I would like to change this to \\tower\disk3\movies\oblivion...

I tried to simply rename the s:\ to \\tower\disk3\ but when I do so MC tells me that a file already exists in that location and tries to recopy it.  If I select do not copy, the location doesn't get updated.

I really don't want to remove and reimport to the library as I made some customer changes to some of the items.

Any ideas?

BernhardS

• World Citizen
Re: How to update video file location
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:41:29 am »

I tried to simply rename the s:\ to \\tower\disk3\

Have you used the 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' Tool? It's Find & Replace function should be just the thing.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:43:24 am »

Yup, but the Find and Replace tool doesn't include the FileName as an item to copy and replace from.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:06:13 pm »

when I properly understand you, you will replace only the basic path - and that is what the tool does. In all selected files you can replace  S:\movies\oblivion with \\tower\disk3\movies\oblivion. The filenames will not changed
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »

I tried to simply rename the s:\ to \\tower\disk3\ but when I do so MC tells me that a file already exists in that location and tries to recopy it.  If I select do not copy, the location doesn't get updated.
Do a find & replace on s:\ to \\tower\disk3\ with directories and filename disabled, and check that you are using the "Update database to point to new location" option at the top.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:10:06 pm »

What I am saying is that when you use the Find and Replace tool, you have to select a field in which you will do the find and replace for, then put in the text to search for and the text to replace with.

The fields available for a find and replace include Name, Genre, Actor, Budget etc but Filename is not one of them so I cannot do a search and replace on that field.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:13:06 pm »

Ok, I see it's not Find and Replace option it's the Rename, Move and Copy Files option.

I'll give that a try, seems to be what I was looking for.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »

What I am saying is that when you use the Find and Replace tool, you have to select a field in which you will do the find and replace for, then put in the text to search for and the text to replace with.

The fields available for a find and replace include Name, Genre, Actor, Budget etc but Filename is not one of them so I cannot do a search and replace on that field.
Check that you're using the Find & Replace option inside the Rename, Move, & Copy Files… tool.

It sounds like you are using Library Tools → Find and Replace…

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:38 pm »

Well it somewhat worked.  It worked for my blu ray rips but it's not working for my tv shows.  I get an error that the type is unsupported.

I have a current file path of s:\tvshows\homeland\season 1\Homeland_S1_D1\BDMV\00802.mpls and trying to change it to
\\tower\disk5\tvshows\homeland\season 1\Homeland_S1_D1\bdmv\00802.mpls

I have Update DAtabase to new location (no file rename, copy, move)
Then checked Find & Replace
Then put in s:\ and replace with \\tower\disk5\

I can see for the new location it's putting in "File Not Supported".

Not sure why since I'm only changing the path.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »

Oops made a mistake in the original path.  It should read

s:\tvshows\homeland\season 1\Homeland_S1_D1\BDMV\playlist\00802.mpls

This are particles created from the blu ray.  Still, you would think you could change the path...
Pages: [1]   Go Up