INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Airfoil with MediaCentre  (Read 4769 times)

DrGonzoEsq

Using Airfoil with MediaCentre
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:36:01 am »

I recently started using JRiver Media Centre and have found that music sounds a littler clearer and less abrasive than iTunes - yay!

I use an Audiongine D1 DAC coming out of the optical output on my Mac and have used Airfoil to stream to speakers in other rooms. However I can't get Airfoil to work with Media Centre, does anyone have any suggestions about the settings to be able to get Airfoil working with MediaCentre.

Many thanks

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using Airfoil with MediaCentre
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:37:20 am »

You should be able to select AirPlay devices directly in OS X without needing AirFoil.

chf

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:42 am »

Hi,
Coincidentally, I did the exact same thing as you did yesterday.
MC basically has no link to- or knowledge of Airfoil directly... it is in Airfoil that you select MC 19 as audio source, and you select in Airfoil to which Airplay devices the music is streamed.
Add to this Airfoil Remote and JRemote on iPad, and you have a pretty much ideal setup.

I first wanted to use DLNA to stream audio to different locations in the house (with MC on PC), but there were always some devices that didn't work as expected.
Hence the move to using Airplay. I first tested Airfoil on PC, but the volume was not as loud + Airfoil Remote is only available for Airfoil on OSX at the moment.
So I just bit the bullet and bought MC 19 for Mac, Airfoil for Mac and Airfoil Remote on iPad (I already had JRemote).

It is true that you can select an airplay device directly in OSX, but it is not possible to stream to multiple zones simultaneously, and changing airplay devices is buried in the system preferences, which is not very user-friendly, nor can you change Airplay device remotely (iPad, phone, ...).
It would be perfect if one could create a different MC zone for each airplay device, but that is unfortunately not possible.

Good luck with your setup! You will be pleased when all is working :-)

Cheers,
Charles

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »

Oh, you're right. That's very strange - I get multiple AirPlay devices listed as audio outputs in the OS selection, but it simply shows up as "Airplay [core audio]" in Media Center.

I wonder if there's anything the JRiver team would be able to do about this.

DrGonzoEsq

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:25:52 pm »

Thanks Charles for your reply, you're right about Airfoil being better than Airplay for streaming to multiple devices. I have no problem using it with iTunes but when I select MediaCentre as the application in Airfoil I can only hear music through the Airplay devices and not to my DAC connected speakers. The DAC is connected to the Optical out on my Mac. Any ideas would be appreciated.

chf

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:06:46 am »

@DrGonzo: Airfoil intercepts the audio from MC, so it doesn't go directly to your DAC anymore.
You also need to "switch on" computer audio in Airfoil to hear anything local, and in the preferences of Airfoil you can specify to which device "local" audio needs to be sent to (called "Play local audio through" in preferences).

The nice thing by having all audio routed through Airfoil is that there is no sync/delay issue between the local output and the airplay devices.
I guess it is kind of what iTunes is doing really...

Cheers,
Charles

DrGonzoEsq

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:40:11 am »

Hi Charles, Thanks I've got 'Play local audio through: Built-in output: Digital out' - and the sound is coming through my DAC, but soon as click on 'computer' in the main Airfoil window sound stops playing (even though I can see the level bouncing along on the bottom of the window. If I select another speaker in the main window I can hear music out of that one. I cannot get MediaCentre music going through Airfoil to the DAC. Driving me crazy!!

chf

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:52:00 am »

I don't have an optical out cable for my Macbook, otherwise I could try it as well.

Maybe best that you try to contact the Airfoil devs for advice?

/Charles

johnwro

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:25:39 am »

Newbie here.  I am new to MC19 but have used Airfoil with Spotify previously streaming through to my iPhone which is connected to a preamp.  I added JRemote this morning which worked but I had to manage the audio from the iPhone itself.  I then tried running MC19 through Airfoil to the iPhone and it worked as well!  Airfoil had to restart MC19 but it did work fine and I could manage what I wanted to hear directly from my mac.  Not sure if this is the issue people are trying to resolve here.  I have yet to acquire a DAC.  (any recommendations? guess that should go to a different thread...)

chf

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:05 am »

@DrGonzo: a possible solution to your problem: have you tried to clear the "Open Device for Exclusive Access" checkbox in MC 19?
When that is ticked, it is also not possible for me to stream local audio through Airfoil.

@johnwro: I guess you're using the Airplay Speakers app on the iPhone? Anyway, it's not the same issue that DrGonzo is trying to solve, but thanks for the input :-)
I don't have any recommendations for a good DAC, but I think there there are plenty of other threads on that (also check other websites).

Cheers,
Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up