INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I mix(crossfade) mp3's?  (Read 4509 times)

Stradyg

How do I mix(crossfade) mp3's?
« on: February 27, 2002, 05:19:13 pm »

I would like to make dj like cds with crossfading of my mp3's. I was wondering if this player was capable of this and if yes how do I configure my settings to achieve this effect while burning a cd? I know that this effect occurs when you click on 'next' mp3 in the middle of the one playing.

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:How do I mix(crossfade) mp3's?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 05:55:56 pm »

You can only do it with MJ80 (in beta now).  Basically, you build a playlist of the tracks you want.  Turn on the new Playback feature called Disk Writer and set the Crossfade playback options you want.  Then, play the playlist and MJ records the tracks to individual .WAV files on you hard-disk (no sound during this process)...all with your Crossfaded options.  When MJ has finished recording your tracks to .WAV files (be sure to turn Continous playback OFF), you would next create an MJ audio CD burn list with your new .WAV files.  Burn your CD and it should sound exactly like it would have had you played it back in MJ with those Crossfade options set.  Be sure to also set your Playback option to Wave Mapper or Direct Sound output when done recording the tracks to hard-disk (so you'll hear sound during MJ playback).

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 06:10:59 pm »

I haven't tried this yet in MJ but have made many a polished crossfaded audio CD with WinAmp and Easy CD Creator operating in concert.

MJ8 has a new bit under Settings>Next Pagelayback>Output.
Change the output Mode to "Disk Writer".  Click settings and configure the location.

The idea is that instead of "playing" to your sound card MJ will output to a series of (.wav)files.
The output to wave will include the enhancements of any DSP settings that you have.
Amongst things that you can set with your DSP is crossfading.

Now line up a playlist and "play" it. You won't hear anything - your sound is not involved.
When it finishes, go straight, first thing to Settings>Next Pagelayback>Output and change the Mode back to direct sound or wave mapper.

Then, import the series of .wav files that were generated.
Select the recently imported .wavs and burn those babies to an audio CD.
Assuming that MJ uses DAO (disk at once) by default, which I think it does, then there will be no gap between tracks.  If there is anything to say "No Two Second Gap", check it.  You do not want a gap.

Hence you will get a lovely crossfaded audio CD with which to impress friends, family and that Nice Sort that you fancy down the pub.

bennyd

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2002, 11:53:57 am »

I tried the diskwriter but it doesn't crossfade my tracks.
I put 10 songs in the playlists. Crossfading is put as agressive 7 seconds.
It creates the wav files but when playing the wav files afterwards, it isn't
crossfaded.

Win XP, MJ build 216

pbnyc

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2002, 05:01:50 am »

It's not often that I "plug" a product, and I certainly wouldn't want to steal MJ's thunder on it's own board.  MJ is the ABSOLUTE BOMB!  (But we all know that, right?)

So, the program I'd strongly recommend you check-out for "cross-fading" and much, much more is:

MixMeister

(Yes, http://www.mixmeister.com)

It will beat match, sample, scratch track, you name it. If a dj can do it, so can this $30.00 program.  (30 day trial software for free.)  You will be amazed you ever got along without it---a real "shareware sleeper."

pbnyc

ZRocker

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2002, 05:45:53 am »

Pbnyc,

So, looks cool...but, it looks like it's $130 for the version that burns CDs and $40 for the basic version.

Can you tell us if the PRO version burns crossfaded CDs easily by just building a burn list, setting crossfade options, clicking burn and the CD is burned directly/immediately?

Update
I'm playing with the PRO demo version right now...I can say also this is one very cool program for mixing!!  The PRO demo does not support burning, so I don't have any more info on burning.  I'm going to play with the basic trailware version next.  Thanks...Pbnyc!!

Update
Played with MixMeister 3.1 (basic) and love it!!  Easy to create cool, mixed track playlists, save to .WAV files and use MJ to burn the .WAV files to create a very cool, crossfaded audio CD.  I highly recommend MixMeister too...go for it!  This is a real first-rate program.

sekim

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2002, 03:02:39 am »

These guys are right. Pretty much idiot proof. Even I can do it. Next Page

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2002, 11:36:27 am »

Anyone has comments on the the post posted a while ago besides telling to use another program like mixmeister ?
Here it goes again:

I tried the diskwriter but it doesn't crossfade my tracks.
I put 10 songs in the playlists. Crossfading is put as agressive 7 seconds.
It creates the wav files but when playing the wav files afterwards, it isn't
crossfaded.
Win XP, MJ build 217
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2002, 12:43:38 pm »

>So, looks cool...but, it looks like it's $130 for the version that burns CDs and $40 for the >basic version.

Yes.  The cheaper version can produce cross-faded WAV files which MJ can then burn, but this is similar to the cross-fading that MJ can already do (as described above).  The Pro ($130) version just burns right onto cd- no fiddling with WAV files.

> Can you tell us if the PRO version burns crossfaded CDs easily by just building a
> burn list, setting crossfade options, clicking burn and the CD is burned directly/immediately?

Yes, but this only scratches the surface of what MixMeister can do.  The real benefit is that the mixes are MUCH cooler and more sophisticated than a simple cross-fade - it actually allows you to easily beat-mix the same way a professional DJ does.  The results are spectacular.

I would have happily paid $50 for MJ - and I still consider MM Pro good value at $130.

Scronch

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2002, 01:17:33 pm »

What does all this have to do with government and terrorism?  I wish you guys would use the right forum.

SeanC

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2002, 05:24:43 pm »

Ditto  

I'm not sure what's on-topic any more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up